Monday, April 15, 2013

Hometown Heartache

By now I'm sure you've heard the horrible news that a person or group detonated two bombs by the finish line for the Boston Marathon, killing at least 3 and injuring nearly 100 more people. The idea of a terrorist attacking a sporting event has always been one of the great fears in a post-9/11 world. But even worse than the physical damage is the emotional toll on the city right now. Reports are that there were as many as five other devices which were found before they could explode and despite initial reports that a person was in custody, the suspect remains at large. That uncertainty of how many more devices could be out there and how many people are involved has put the entire city on edge and seeing that makes my heart hurt. This isn't supposed to happen in Boston. I love this town and one of the reasons I never want to live anywhere else is that I've always felt safe here. Plus, Boston is a tough city full of tough people. It takes a special breed of humans to deal with summers where it can reach 100 and winters which give you a fresh blizzard every couple of weeks, so to see people walking around unsure of themselves is very unsettling. The thing I am clinging to right now is that I have no doubt my city will emerge stronger than it was before, because we have to. The Governor has already said the city will be open for business tomorrow. I always say New Englanders can be a little set in its ways, but right now stubbornly refusing to alter the way we do things may be the best thing for us.

No comments: