Friday, August 30, 2013

2013 DBC Pro-Am

It's that time of year again - time for me to make my annual pilgrimage to the Deutsche Bank Championship Pro-Am. Here are just some of the pictures I collected as I walked around the course.


After attending this event for a few years I finally figured out the system of when to get there (hint: you can go ahead and sleep in a little), which means I showed up as Tiger Woods was coming up the 18th hole. I also know where to stand, which was why Tiger hit it to within 10 feet of me. (Then again, I also nearly got hit by an amateur for the second straight year. Sometimes I learn quickly, other times not so much.) I had enough self-respect to not go running to be closer, which is not a claim several men older than me can make. 


Next I took a right and headed up to see Adam Scott. I was really surprised at how small the gallery following the current Masters champion was. I assume it is Stevie's fault. (I continue to find it weird that he is the only caddies not required to wear the bib.)


After that I ran into Webb Simpson, performing the second half of every golfer's job description - signing autographs. 


I was patiently waiting for Jason Day to look in my direction to take his picture. He seemed to be making a concerted effort to not look at the crowd, as if he was trolling us. That was when I remembered I didn't really care if I got a picture of Jason Day and snapped this.


After that I started backwards through the front 9, where I ran into my boy Hunter Mahan. Because he is my favorite golfer I will refrain from commenting on the white pants.


Next came Rickie Fowler. Now, I'm all for adding a little color and flair to the golf, but it should also match. I mean, what the hell is that golf bag? Hot pink doesn't go with a lot of other options, at least not in my closet.


After those two came Bubba Watson, completing the "Golf Boys" trifecta. All his amateur partners were hitting hybrids or woods into the green. I'm pretty sure Bubba hit 8 or 9, which really doesn't seem fair.


Not surprisingly, Phil had the biggest gallery on the front 9. He also hit two balls out of bounds off this tee. I guess when you win the Open you can take as many mulligans as you want.


This is Jordan Spieth (far right), playing with the Celtics' group. In the green is owner Steve Pagliuca and Danny Ainge is walking towards the camera. I'll explain why after this next picture:


Both new head coach Brad Stevens and Danny Ainge tried to kill me with their drives. Seriously, both missed me by only a few feet which, as a long-standing Paul Pierce fan, feels strangely appropriate for this offseason. Still, I think I am happy that both are really bad golfers because that means they aren't spending all day on the course and this team is going to need all the help they can get this season.


I made it to the first tee just in time to see Ernie Els start his round. Again, it never fails to amuse me when these pros feel the need to introduce themselves to their pro-am partners. They know who you are, in fact they paid thousands of dollars to play golf with you because of it. Introductions are really not necessary.


Having come in a complete circle I wanted to head up to the range to see if any of the guys I had missed in the morning wave were on the range. Specifically I wanted to catch US Open champ, Justin Rose. So, imagine my surprise when he was just now coming off the 18th hole. These pro-ams move at a glacial pace and must drive the pros insane.


Now that I had seen Rose I figured I should wait until Jason Dufner played the 18th. Not the best picture of him, but at least it meant I had captured all four major winners.


With that mission accomplished I figured I would head up to the range to see who was still around. The first guy I saw was Rory McIlroy, who won this event last year and whose game finally appears to be getting back on track. I assume this means he'll finish DFL this week.


The only other person still on the range who I hadn't seen earlier in the day was Camilo Villegas, who was practicing his chipping alongside.... you know what, I have no idea who the guy in the blue is. I never saw his name on a bag and it annoys me to no end because his face looked so familiar. Anyway, when I can't tell which players are it means I've seen everyone I came to see and I took that as my cue to head out.

Until next year...

No comments: