Thursday, June 14, 2012

Fly it Proudly

So, today is Flag Day, which got me to thinking about how much guys love flags. If you were ever in a guys' dorm during college I can almost guarantee there were flags on half the walls. Not only do they make for good decorations, they stand in pretty well for curtains in a pinch. (Even now I have a Celtics banner, which is really just a big flag, over my bed.) In previous posts I have talked about how much time teenage boys spend coming up with clever names for things we might have later in life such as bands, bars, television shows or golf courses. The other thing we like to think of is what our flag might look like. I'm not saying every teenage boys thinks about taking over other countries or breaking away from his current one, I'm just saying we all want to be prepared in case it happens. You never know when having a way to distinguish friend from foe will come in hand and no one wants to rally behind an ugly flag. Also, back in high school it was probably the coolest way to let people know which of the many brown-paper-bag-covered text books was yours. Unfortunately, most teenage guys lack creativity, which is why 90% of the designs feature some version of a skull and crossbones. That being said, I still think most of those kids came up with something better than what Libya was flying until 2011. No wonder they eventually revolted.

No comments: