Sunday, June 24, 2012

It's Not The Heat...

Lately, it seems like the entire country has been in the grips of a massive heatwave. All week the national maps on the weather channel were practically glowing with reds and oranges as every corner of the country dealt with the heat before we finally got some much-need rain in the last couple of days. While 90 degree temperatures won't cause people to bat an eyelash in Texas or Arizona, they cause a major ruckus here in the Northeast. Let's be honest, we're thick-blooded around these parts, so heat tends to not agree with us. When my dashboard thermometer hit 98 on Thursday I thought it had to be a mistake... right up until I got out of my car, at which point I felt like it was probably a little low with that total. (Weird part about it was that I almost wished we had just made it to 100. I mean, if you're going to be that uncomfortable, you may as well be triple-digits hot. It's like being the second-worst team ever.) However, this does once again prove my theory that air conditioning is among the top-five all-time for inventions, right up there with the wheel and the Red Zone channel.

There is another side effect of this heatwave and that is that I am much more efficient in this kind of heat. When it's a beautiful day outside I look for excuses to take a couple extra trips outside. But when it is 94 degrees with 110% humidity I need a damn good reason to leave the comfort of my central A/C. Also, if I do have to go outside I am doing everything in one swoop and as fast as I can. There is no running back and forth or assuring myself that I'll remember what I needed from the store while I am on my way. Nope, on those days you will find me making lists, double and triple checking them, then mapping out the quickest route with the least amount of time to let my car turn itself back into a sauna. Also, I may not have needed to use my remote starter during the winter that much, but you can be damn sure it comes in just as handy for cooling a car down as it does for heating one up. Look, it's only June and I'm not saying that I'm already looking forward to breaking out the shovels, but I just want to be clear about the fact I will not be looking at property in El Paso any time soon.

No comments: