Sunday, July 15, 2012

Let Them Play

I'll openly admit to not being the biggest Springsteen guy growing up. I think a large part of it came from having everyone around me talk about how amazing he was/is, which leads to the natural inclination to go the other way for the sake of being different. However, those feelings only lasted until I saw him live. I was working at Gillette and Springsteen and the E-Street Band were supposed to play a show on Saturday night. However, due to thunderstorms in the area, Bruce couldn't fly in until very late and didn't end up going on stage until almost 10 pm. Like most concert venues, Gillette has an 11 pm noise curfew, so I thought Bruce was going to play for less than an hour and then be on his merry way. (I saw multiple acts come through that place who were only to happy to put on short shows while demanding full-price tickets... This is another reason why I don't go to concerts.) But, curfew be damned, Bruce was going to play his full set and give his fans their money's worth, telling the town to send him any fines. Not only did he put on a show which blew me away (even if I had to work way later than I wanted to that night and had an early day ahead of me), he certainly gained a new level of respect in my book.

Also, I think the town of Foxboro officials should get a little credit for allowing the show to go on. I know that rules like this exist for a reason, but every now and again you just have to forget the rules and do what feels right. Apparently, police in London don't feel that way, because Springsteen was playing in London this weekend and was just about to begin his encore with special guest Paul McCartney, when the clock struck 11 pm. Undaunted by the occasion, officials pulled the plug on the show. I'm willing to accept the logic that Springsteen doesn't have the cache in England he probably does in the States and as such he doesn't have the leeway other acts may have. Still, there is a time for every rule to be ignored. Now, just in case you ever find yourself in position of having to make a call like that and were wondering whether or not it is a moment for a rule to be ignored, ask yourself a very simple question: is rock icon Bruce Springsteen about to jam with a member of the Beatles? If the answer is yes, then this would be one of those times. So, it made this week's musical interlude choice fairly easy. And, unlike the London noise police, I'll let this one play all the way to the end.

No comments: