Sunday, July 29, 2012

Made For Walking

The other day I went out to run a few errands. When I got to the bottom of my street I couldn't turn right away, as I had to wait for a jogger to run passed. Once I made the turn I had to slow down again because the guy was still in the street. After I was finally able to go around him I had to slow down a second time because some kids were riding their bikes down the street. Then, as I got to the end of that road I had to pause a third time because a man was pushing a double stroller down the street. This got me to thinking: when did everyone stop using the sidewalk? When I was young rode your bike on the sidewalk because you weren't supposed to play in the street. The only time you went there was if someone was walking, but even then as soon as they passed you, you got back up onto the sidewalk before going any further. I don't know when that changed, but it clearly has. Now everyone is already in the street, almost as though they are attempting to be polite in advance. I'm all for manners, but there is a time and place for them and in this case that time doesn't come until there is actually another person on the sidewalk trying to get around you.

I can almost understand why people want riders on bikes to be in the street, because they can really get moving and some people might not react quick enough, resulting in a painful collision. I assume this is why most roads now have a dedicated bike lane. However, that probably shouldn't apply to kids just out for a ride around the block. I could also see why a runner would want to be in the street if he is trying to run through the city, because those sidewalks can get crowded with people who are going at their own pace and I know how annoying it can be when you want to move fast and are stick behind slow walkers. Still, this was the 'burbs - there was no crowd to worry about. However, it was the guy with the double strollers which almost made me pull over and yell at him. Seriously, you shouldn't have a stroller in the street any longer than you have to. In fact, I'm like 90% sure people with baby strollers and the elderly are the reason we have sidewalks to begin with. And if the elderly start walking in the street, considering how fast they move, you may see a lot of  people opting to drive on the sidewalks.

No comments: