Sunday, October 7, 2012

Rush To Judgement

I'm a man who enjoys a good Hall of Fame debate, regardless of what Hall we might be talking about. Everyone brings their own agendas to the vote, which I find hilarious and fascinating. However, I do have more to say the more I feel I know about a subject, which is why the day nominees are announced for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is one I pay especially close attention to. This year's class of 15 nominees include several returning acts such as Randy Newman, the late Donna Summer, Heart and Chic. However, it also has an equally diverse class of first-time nominees like NWA, Deep Purple, Public Enemy and Rush. Rounding out the list of nominees is German pioneering electonica band Kraftwerk, the Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Albert King, the Meters, Procol Harum and the Marvelettes. Even for someone whose musical collection is as schizophrenic as mine, that is an eclectic mix. Now, I'm assuming either Public Enemy or NWA will make based not only on their influence, but because of the fact that the Hall has been very slow to let in rap artists and they will want to correct that (though not too much, hence just one of them getting in). Donna Summer has been on the ballot for years but her death earlier in 2012 could be the thing which catapults her in, because people who vote for Halls of Fame are stupid like that. I also expect Deep Purple and Randy Newman to pull in enough votes.

The one band I can't quite make a decision about is Rush. Every musical act on my iPod is subject to my whims on that day. Some times I can't wait to hear a genre of music, but others I can't hit 'skip' fast enough. I'm not sure any band experiences greater swings than Rush. There are certain days when I like them and others when I can't stand them. (Honestly, I don't think their fans help. They are a very loyal bunch, starting numerous campaigns to get them on the Hall of Fame ballot, but too often they cross over into the "Freaks and Geeks" territory, which means they think if you don't love Rush as much as they do there must be something wrong with you.) Clearly, I'm not the only one having an issue deciding just how good they are because they have been eligible for 13 years and this is their first nomination. I think the problem is they fell into a time when rock was transitioning from the typical sound to something a little heavier. It kind of left them in musical no-man's land. Still, plenty of musical acts, including some which will definitely be in the Hall of Fame someday such as Pearl Jam, have listed Rush among their influences. How can you let in the students but not the teacher? The good news is, I may have gotten my answer in looking for a song for this week. My choice was kind of obvious, because it is not as though they have a huge catalog of hits to wade through. Rush may eventually get in, but don't be shocked if they are forced to wait one more year.

No comments: