Tuesday, January 1, 2013

My Song For 2013

For as long as I have been doing this blog I have started out the new year letting you know what has been picked as my "Song For The Upcoming Year." The belief was that the song would give an idea of what you could expect in the coming year and also that it would give you ownership of that song so when it came on in a bar you could exclaim, "This is my song!" and actually mean it. The rules are fairly simple - take one spin around the radio dial and designate one of them as your song of the year. In extreme cases you were allowed to turns around the dial. (Or three - let's be honest, the rules are pretty flexible. If this is going to be your personal anthem for the next 365 days it had better be a song you enjoy.) This year I was able to find a song I enjoyed on the first time around the dial, even if it is a lot newer than I typically go with. Normally I pick a classic rock song because even the most casual music fan knows at least a couple of lines of songs which have been on the radio for 40 years. Nothing takes the wind out of enjoying a song like turning to someone and telling them how much you love it only to have them stare back at you blankly and ask, "Who sings this? What's a Mumford?"

The first couple of stations I checked out did not give me much hope, which leads me to ask this question: who decided that after 11 pm every song on the radio needed to be a techno-heavy remix of a once-popular song? Look, I know that since I am now in my 30s the music in night clubs is no longer being made for me (good thing, because I am never in night clubs and would feel bad if someone's hard work was going to waste). And I would totally be fine with one or two stations switching over in hopes of attracting a few more listeners. The thing is that 8 out of every 10 stations appeared to have made the switch from whatever music they normally broadcast to some never-ending thumping put together by someone called DJ Spintasy. Apparently, these guys are unaware that if you are trying to stand out from the crowd, doing the same thing four or five other people is a really bad way to pull it off. (Given the volatility of the Boston radio scene I guess I should count my lucky stars there were still any stations playing normal music.) I guess this just means that I will have fewer stations to scan through on next New Year's Eve, which also means I may have to bump it up to four times around the dial. Thank God I'm the one making the rules, so I don't feel as bad breaking them.

No comments: