Thursday, July 4, 2013

Happy 4th of July!!

Just wanted to take a minute
and wish everyone out there a
Safe and Happy 4th of July!



Whenever a holiday falls on a day towards the end of the week it's always interesting to watch how many people fight to get the extra day off from work versus how many of them are successful. But what I find really amusing are the people who don't get the day off and still have to go into work, because I don't know what they are complaining about. They get a full day's pay and if they give a third of their normal effort they are going to be looked at as employee of the year. On top of that since many companies are closed it is not like they can do much business. I mean, tomorrow has to be one of the least-productive days of the year and if I were a boss I would seriously think about shutting my operation down for the day. Not only will you probably save money in the long run it would gain a lot of good will with your employees.

Anyway, I wanted to show a video for the occasion, specifically I wanted to include a video of someone performing the 1812 Overture, along with some fireworks. Cruising around the internet I still couldn't find a better version than the video I have been using for the last few years, featuring the Hong Kong Philharmonic Orchestra. Not only are the fireworks very impressive (still can't see the city of Boston letting any one do that off the Hatch Shell), but there is something very amusing to me about a Chinese orchestra performing a song written to commemorate a Russian victory which has been adopted as an unofficial anthem of America's Independence Day and at the end using fireworks which were probably made in Korea. Something in here for everyone. Happy 4th of July!

No comments: