Sunday, July 28, 2013

Thought He Was With You

Outside of the Royal Family themselves, the face of the Royal Birth was probably the town crier who announced the child's arrival to the group of people waiting outside the hospital. Dressed like a cross between Captain Hook and a greeter at a fish-theme restaurant, this was the man who strolled out with a very ornate scroll, screamed some words about God saving the Queen while progressively turning redder and then rang a bell a few times. Everyone ate it up and his photograph quickly made its way around the globe as the symbol of pomp and circumstance. So, you can imagine everyone's surprise when a few days later it was revealed that he was in no way, shape or form aligned with anything having to do with the Royal Family. Apparently he is just a fan of the Royals, felt like being involved and already has the costume because he does these kinds of announcements for weddings and bar mitzvahs. Now, I'm not blaming anyone for assuming he was party of the official ceremony because, let's be honest, the idea of a guy roaming the streets of London with a scroll and a bell seems almost restrained when you compare it to the rest of the traditions surrounding this event. When you have 63 cannons going off and a golden easel holding the birth announcement it is not hard to assume there would be a guy in costume somewhere along the way.

But while this guy was harmless and probably nothing more than a shrewd businessman (seriously, try and book him for the next six months - I bet he's slammed with appearances), it does remind me of how much I can't stand party-crashers. I simply have never understood the logic behind people who show up where they are not wanted and begin to mooch off the people there. Seriously, if you have that much desire to be in a social setting, throw your own party. In some ways it is terribly sad that party crashers don't have any friends of their own to hang out with, but at the same time that is not my problem. Of course, there is a good chance my feelings towards these people come from the fact that I hate being in social settings in which I only know a few people, so I can't comprehend why anyone would want to go to a party where not only do they only know the people they came with, every second is filled with the chance someone is going to ask you what you are doing there or that you need to leave. Not exactly the makings of a fun evening in my book. It is also possible that I don't like party crashers because I know I could never pull it off since, as this fake town crier showed, if you act like you are supposed to be there everyone will just assume you belong and I just don't have that mentality. Besides, I have no idea where I would even get a hat that big.

No comments: