Sunday, November 3, 2013

Throw The Book At Him

I will tell anyone who will listen how much I prefer having one book in my hand to having 50 books on my Kindle. However, even though I have and will always opt to read from a real book that doesn't mean I go out and buy many of them. I've written this before, but books are very high priced in comparison to the number of people who still enjoy reading. Your average best seller is going to cost you $22 if you want the hardcover edition, which seems like a high price for a book you are going to read once or twice at the most. Considering the digital copy of that same book is going to be available for two or three dollars I am amazed any book ever winds up on the best-seller list. Still, it is because of my reluctance to purchase copies of books that I tend to lean a little heavier on my local library to get my reading done. I like being able to read a book and then not have to worry about finding shelf space for it. This is probably a little selfish on my part but having worked in a library all through high school I know I am not the only person who feels this way. That is why every time I go to the library I continue to be amazed they are still open. Seriously, they aren't getting those books for free and yet if you check it out and keep it for a couple of months it will only cost you $2 in late fees. I know libraries are paid for with tax dollars, but so is the Postal Service and people are constantly talking about how that organization should be shut down to save money. I guess with a constant threat of being shut down looming over their heads we shouldn't be surprised to learn some libraries are going to extremes to get their books back.

A town in Texas recently passed a law which allowed the courts to issue arrest warrants for anyone who has had a library book overdue for more than 90 days and who hasn't responded to requests to bring book back. Now, it isn't quite as extreme as it sounds - the cops won't come busting down your door with a SWAT team - but if you are arrested for another crime or otherwise brought to police attention (say, for a traffic stop) that you will be brought in like any other criminal with an outstanding warrant. Reportedly the law is not very popular in town because people think the library is going too far, but the library countered by saying they are simply sick and tired of having to replace items people check out and never return, forcing the library to buy second or third copies. Personally, I think the real reason these people are so against this law is they are afraid of being brought to jail for having overdue library books. I would imagine "being a slow reader" would not get you too much street cred in your cell block. Still, for all the attention it is getting I wonder how much it will really come up because most criminals don't strike me as very big readers. Still, I have a big stack of books on my nightstand to get through so if you'll excuse me I'd better start working my way through it. Wouldn't want the police to come knocking before I find out how some of them end.

No comments: