Monday, November 21, 2011

Not Very Supportive

Like most people, I do not take it well when I have a computer issue. I tend to get very frustrated, very quickly. Personally, I think my frustration comes from the fact that computers are something I feel like I know a little about. Unlike car engines, which I know nothing about, when a problem occurs with my computer often I feel like I should be able to figure out what it is and fix it. So when I can't I get extra annoyed. Now most of the time I combat this frustration by reminding myself that what I am working on isn't particularly important. After all, while there are millions of websites out there, I repeatedly go to roughly nine of them. So yes, it is annoying that I can't update my fantasy football line-up this second, but it is not as though I'm sending out launch codes. That perspective seems to help. However, when the problem interrupts something work-related, you may want to take a few steps back. You see, at that point not only am I annoyed at having a problem but because I am usually pressed for time I have to take the very unwanted step of calling tech support and that only adds to my annoyance.

I hate calling tech support, and not just because it is blow to the male ego akin to pulling over and asking directions (the main reason GPS was invented). What I can't deal with is the tone with which the people on the other end of the line talk to you. It's a mix that sounds both condescending and inconvenienced, as though this person is doing you a personal favor in their free time. I get that some of the people who call tech support are doing so because they are new to technology and can't figure out something very simple, but that does not apply to all of us. For example, in trying to run a program through a website today I was text-chatting with that site's tech support and the first question the person asked was if I was connected to the Internet. Seriously? How else would we be chatting here? No, I'm sending out smoke signals to my neighbor. They have the Internet connection and are just being nice enough to be my relay messenger. That question was so dumb I was insulted for both of us.

However, here's a conclusion that I just came to this afternoon: I think the tech support people are wishing and hoping that you're an idiot. When their little chat icon pops up I bet they are crossing their finger that on the other end of the line is some 94 year-old great-grandmother who can't figure out how to make the words on her screen bigger, because as it turns out not everyone working in the field is as much of a computer genius as they may want us to believe. For example, today I was talking to that person and told them how I adjusted my browser, changed some cookie settings and downloaded an updated version of my flash players, yet was still having issues and wondered what else they could suggest I try. "Did you try turning off your computer and turning it back on?", came the response. You're telling me to reboot? You mean, the first thing everyone tries when they have a computer issue? Of course I did that. I did that an hour ago. I was looking for something a little more technical than that.

What I think needs to happen is some type of tech support screening and I mean one that goes in both directions. If I know a little bit about what I am talking about, then why not send me to the technician who is going to give me better tip that is better than, "Um, did you try blowing on it?" Meanwhile if the person calling isn't really sure where the 'on' button is, don't tie up your best personnel to deal with them. I'm thinking a few questions about the methods the caller with the problem has already tried, mixed in with a couple of generic ones about the operating system the person is dealing with. And if the person can't figure out how to answer those questions, well, then we know which end of the dial they fall on. On the other end, the employees take regular proficiency exams so the people who only know how to handle the basic problems only deal with the people who have basic problems. Because, you may find this shocking, rebooting my computer didn't fix my problem.

No comments: