Sunday, February 5, 2012

Farewell (For Now)

After two long weeks, we've finally reached Super Bowl Sunday. Now, some of you may be expecting a Super Bowl preview or prediction in this post. Sorry to disappoint you, but I just can't do it. I'm too close to the Patriots to be rational about it. I don't know why this is the case, but I feel like I want this Super Bowl more than others. It could be because it has been a while or maybe it's just because as I'm getting older and I'm starting to realize that I shouldn't take runs like this for granted. It's hard to be this good for this long. You could hear Tom Brady thinking many of the same thoughts as he talked in a press conference about not knowing how many more of these opportunities he has left. Or maybe I just don't want to hear from the obnoxious fucking Giants fans anymore.

Frankly, I just want to watch this game. I don't want to clog things up by trying to break down the match-ups and who has which tactical advantage. Not to mention, I think the Giants have too many of those advantages and I can't bring myself to type what I think will happen. (It's a head vs heart kind of thing.) Instead, I'm only going to offer one prediction for the game: Madonna's Halftime Show is going to suck. A lot.

Still, no matter which side wins this game I am going to come away with a heavy heart, because either result still means the end of football for almost six months. This stinks, because I love watching football. Sure, it will be nice to have my Sundays free again and we've got the Celtics, Bruins and Red Sox to keep us entertained, but it's just not the same. I think it is the one game a week which makes it special. Whatever the reason, training camps can't get here fast enough.

No comments: