Sunday, February 12, 2012

I Guess It's True

The internet has been on a murder spree lately. At least, it sure seems that way on Twitter, because every time I have signed on over the last few weeks RIP (fill in the blank with a random celebrity) has been trending. Now, the person is never actually dead, but that is beside the point. I'm not positive, but I think the game is to get the most random celebrity's fake-death as a trending topic. For all I know some of these celebrities are orchestrating it themselves in an effort to boost sales until they come out as not-dead. It may not be the most ethical way to get your name back on everyone's lips, but it certainly is effective. Honestly, if you haven't been fake-killed by Twitter in the last year your publicist should probably be fired. With that in mind you can imagine my skepticism upon seeing the internet reports of Whitney Houston's death last night. But, what I have discovered as the best way to tell if a person is really dead is to see if any of the people whom I follow mention it, because I don't follow the kind of people who would fake-kill someone on the internet. When several trustworthy people Tweeted that Whitney had died, I figured the internet was finally telling me the truth.

Now, today's original musical interlude was going to be some Paul McCartney, in honor of him getting a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame - something I would have anticipated happening years ago. (The Beatles have one, just not Paul alone.) But, given the breaking news, we're calling an audible. Once again I would remind you that when a recording artist dies you can't just go with the biggest hit of their career for a musical interlude, as it is lazy. You have to go a little deeper into the catalog to pick a proper send-off. Since it is already my favorite Whitney Houston song and I'm a sucker for any slow-motion montage of sports played over a ballad from the 80s, we're going with the song Houston recorded for the Olympics, "One Moment in Time." Now go and do a slow motion run around the room one time for Whitney.

No comments: