Sunday, February 19, 2012

Knuckling Under

On Friday Tim Wakefield announced his retirement from professional baseball. I have to say, I am a little surprised that the 45 year-old knuckleballer decided to hang up his cleats now when he had made it clear at the end of last season he still wanted to pitch, is seven wins away from owning the team record for most victories by a starting pitcher and the Red Sox don't have a set 5th starter for the rotation. Plus, as a knuckleballer, he can pitch until he's 60. I know the organization had indicated they didn't want him back, but you would think he would have come to Spring Training anyway, just playing off the "you never know" nature of baseball. Think about it: how many times through the years has Wakefield been given a roster spot just because there was no one else available? I'm pretty sure this was how he got half of his victories. It feels like the Red Sox have been trying to replace Tim Wakefield for at least 10 of the 17 years he has played here. Is it really all that crazy to think someone will get hurt in the next couple of weeks and suddenly the team is going to be scrambling to find a starter? But mostly, I'm left wondering who will be my new personal pitcher now that Wakefield is gone.

For those of you unfamiliar with the concept, the personal pitcher is the guy who it seems is always pitching when you go to a baseball game. Doesn't matter how infrequently you go to the stadium, it is always the same guy on the mound. I haven't gone to many baseball games in the last couple of years, but when I have it seems as though Wakefield was always pitching. Despite the revolving door of  quality Sox pitchers through the years - Pedro, Schilling, Beckett, Lester or even Dice-K - I always got Wakefield. If he was hurt, he came off the disabled list just in time for the game I was going to and if a week out it looked like I would finally get to see someone else pitch there was always a rain-out to push everyone back a day. Not that Tim isn't a nice guy, but he certainly wasn't a sexy pitcher. I saw more solo homers go over the wall in left than any one person should be subjected to.

No comments: