Friday, August 31, 2012

2012 DBC Pro-Am

As I have done for the last couple of years, I got my hands on some tickets for the Deutsche Bank Championship Pro-Am and brought my camera along for the ride. I was excited to learn Tiger Woods would be playing for the first time in a few years, though not excited enough to get up to see him tee of at 6:50 in the morning. However, knowing how slow the amateurs play I was confident he would still be on the course when I got there around 11. I hustled to 18 to catch him finishing up.

Turns out I could have taken my time because Woods was still a couple holes from being done. The first people I saw play through were Justin Rose and Hunter Mahan. Since Mahan is my boy I took plenty of pictures, but I saw him later and got better pictures then, which I will show you later. The next guy to play the hole was Watney, who impressed me by picking up his own divot.


Finally Woods came up. You can tell when it's Tiger because the crowd around the hole suddenly doubles. I can now totally understand why people say they don't mind playing with Tiger, but don't like playing in the group in front or behind him. It's a lot of moving pieces. What's nice is that Tiger helped me out by hitting it left off the tee to about 20 feet from where I was already standing. I'm proud of myself for not sprinting to his ball. Not all grown men in the area can make the same claim.


This was where I was reminded that being a professional athlete must have it's drawbacks. Every second of this guy's life is on camera. Also, people crap on athletes who won't sign their stuff, but you never hear the other side of that story. We as fans need to learn when to ask for autographs and when not to. One woman called out for one at this instance and seemed miffed Tiger didn't come running. For future reference: before and after holes, not during.


At this point I had a decision to make: stick around and wait for Jason Dufner to come up 18 or head back to the 10th tee and watch Rory McIlroy tee off. I figured two Major titles was the tie-breaker and headed to 10. Rory was apparently a little late and literally ran down the street to the tee box. Chalk that up as something you won't see every day.


Rory was playing in the Pro-Am with the President of Deutsche Bank. (I'm sure that was just a lucky draw on that guy's part.) The benefit of being tall is that I could stand behind the tee box and still see over the wall to stand behind Rory as he swung, which is the best place to watch the pros hit. Rory hit an amazing drive which went high, far and straight. Honestly, there are cannons which are jealous of this kid's accuracy.


I decided to wait around and see Matt Kuchar, who was next on the tee. While waiting for Kuch I heard a commotion going on behind me and turned around in time to catch Bubba Watson hopping into his cart. As you can tell, I didn't have time to get picky about getting a good picture.


The funny this is that while I was taking Bubba's picture, Kuchar silently arrived at the tee, which is why my camera was still so zoomed in. Never heard him coming, which leads to a new theory: Matt Kuchar is a ninja.

I decided to work my way backwards through the front 9. The first person I came across was Ian Poulter. The entire time I was taking out my camera to snap this picture, Ian was giving his pro-am partner a putting lesson. It made him seem like a really cool guy. That is going to make rooting against him with every fabric of my being a little harder during next month's Ryder Cup. Still, something tells me I'll manage.


I hope he doesn't take this personally, but I admit that when I first started walking passed World #2 Luke Donald I had to ask myself if I really needed to take his picture. That is why I was almost beyond him before deciding that, yeah, I can make the effort to press a button. People wonder why Luke doesn't seem to get the attention he deserves. I can't explain it, but I know I am as guilty of it as anyone.


The next person I came across was Charl Schwartzel, desperately trying not to make eye contact with the kids he was snubbing. It is kind of amazing to think this guy won the Masters and yet most of the people asking him for his autograph don't even know who he is, they just know he is famous.


On the next hole I crossed path with Rickie Fowler. I don't know if he coordinated with the "Blue Crew" volunteers on purpose, but it's nice to know he doesn't feel obligated to wear Oklahoma State Orange all the time.


At this point I ran into Justin Rose for the second time that day. The good news is that this time around I didn't need to mess around with my camera settings and could just take a picture. I'm sure he was feeling snubbed.


This was also where I ran into Hunter Mahan for the second time that day and got a much better picture than when I saw him play 18. That made it 3 of the 4 'Golf Boys'.


As a crossed over #4 on the tee was Ernie Els, which means I had also now seen 3 of the 4 Major winners this year (I'll let you decide which foursome is more important). After this was taken Ernie proved his reputation as one of the nicest guys on Tour was true as he called over an older gentleman who had asked for a picture and patiently waited while his wife fumbled with their camera. Everyone says Els is one of the best and I could clearly see why.


I came out of the woods and found Lee Westwood on the tee at #4. Again, I don't want to disparage Mr. Westwood, but I did ask myself if I needed to take his picture, especially since I'm just going to be talking crap about him come the Ryder Cup. But, I figured I would be nice for now and snapped away.


I was just about done for the day, but before I left I headed up to the range, where Tiger was still practicing, but way off to the side in a place I couldn't get another good picture. Instead I took a picture of Carl Pettersson, who I'm sure gets mistaken for Tiger Woods all the time.


After checking out the range I went to have my swing looked at by one of the Golf Town pros. He gave me some great tips, but the line was longer than expected, which meant that by the time I was finished it was nearly time for Mickelson to tee off and since I was already there, why miss that? On my way back to #1 I passed Graeme McDowell. He's shorter than expected, but don't expect me to make any leprechaun jokes.


Lastly, I arrived to watch Phil tee off. What I found amusing is that Mickelson felt the need to go up to all his pro-am partners and introduce himself by saying, "Hi, I'm Phil." Dude, I'm pretty sure they already knew that. In fact, I'm pretty sure they spent tens of thousands of dollars to play with you because they know who you are. Still, it was a nice touch.

No comments: