Sunday, August 5, 2012

A Steamy Interlude

The old saying is that when you don't have anything else to talk about, you can always talk about the weather. But even with that in mind, I was reluctance to talk about the humidity we have been facing this week. Mostly this was based on the fact that I have already done a few weather-centric interludes. However, I'm also a little afraid to bring it up because every time I write about how hot it has been, the next week is even hotter. Still, this week I had a couple of things happen that caught my eye. This week we've been in a humid and rainy pattern. (Honestly, I imagine this is what the rain forests deal with every day, which is why I don't live there.) When we got a quick rain shower on Thursday, I figured another line of storms couldn't be that far behind and decided to dodge the raindrops to grab that day's mail before they arrived. While I was at my mailbox I noticed that it was so hot out my neighbor's driveway was literally steaming as the rain evaporated. I know asphalt tends to hold heat and it wasn't that hot out to everyone, but it simply confirmed that people had the right to be unhappy.

A little while later I was thinking of what day we should designate as the national holiday for the inventor of air conditioning (can you think of a person more deserving of a national day of recognition who doesn't already have one?) when I walked passed a window and noticed it was fogging up. The cold inside and the heat outside were battling it out with my window caught in the middle. For a second I was worried weather was trying to get me like some monster in a horror movie and I felt like Jake Gyllenhaal in "The Day After Tomorrow." This concerned me even more, because the fact I would acknowledge I have watched that movie means I must have been suffering from heat stroke. I'm aware some areas of the country have had it even worse, however I still I want it officially on record that Massachusetts has had enough of this weather pattern. I know it is supposed to get hot in the summer, but Mother Nature is being unreasonable.

No comments: