Thursday, August 23, 2012

At Home In Public

Last night, I went to see "The Expendables 2". [Quick review: Eh. If you thought the first one was light on plot, you ain't see nothing yet. Honestly, every moment of dialog seems forced, as if the actors were annoyed this pesky 'talking' was keeping them from doing another action sequence. But, my main problem with it was the fun was missing. The reason the first "Expendables" movie was so good was that it was done with a "wink, wink" feel to it. Everyone involved knew this movie was not going for screenwriting Oscars, it was just a throwback to the action movies of yore and it was really cool to see all these big-name stars on the same screen. This one tries way to hard to replicate that feeling and, as everyone knows, the quickest way to ruin a party is for the host to walk around constantly asking their guests if they are enjoying themselves. Every time another big name came onto the screen I half-expected Sly Stallone to look into the camera and smirk, Ferris Bueller-style. Basically, the fun from the first film felt forced this time around. I'm not saying it was a bad movie, because at the end of the day you get exactly what you expect, but sadly, it was just not as good as the original.] But, as so often happens when I go out, it was the side action I found most interested. Specifically, the fact that I think we are all getting a little too comfortable in public settings.

As you would expect on a Wednesday night at a movie which has been out for a couple weeks, the theater was pretty empty when we entered. There were only two other groups of two already in their seats (the final tally for the whole movie ended up being about 20 people). The first was a couple kids in the last row and what I at first thought were two more teenage boys, but discovered upon approach were a couple butch women, near the center. The ladies had positioned themselves near the best seats in the place, so much so that had the theater been empty I would have picked the seats directly in front of them, but I know that it is both rude and weird to sit close to strangers when you don't have to, so I wasn't about to sit there now. Not that I could anyway, because one of the ladies had her feet up on the back of the chair and was pushing it forward, which meant picking that chair probably would have led to a confrontation. Now, I like to put my feet up as much as the next person, but I don't do it at the movies. However, I'm not going to stop people from doing it, even though I personally believe social etiquette dictates you should wait until the movie has started before you do. She had no idea how crowded this movie was going to be, so to essentially claim this extra seat just seemed rude to me. Actually, these ladies had taken up two extra seats because they were using the chair to their left to hold their large, restaurant-sized pizza. They had basically spread themselves out. This is what I mean by getting too comfortable.

Between the internet, bootlegs and reduced time between when films are in theaters versus available for home rental, people are increasingly staying home to watch their movies. As a result, movie theaters have had to compensate for this by offering things to make the experience more tailored to individual wants. Some of it is extreme - such as family friendly-screenings with lower decibel levels to not wake the kids or adults-only ones where everyone has to be at least 21. But most of it falls into the simpler realm of wide, plush seats which recline and better food options. However, I think some people have started to take this "make yourself at home" policy a little too far. I don't care how nice the seats are or how much space there is between you and the other strangers taking in the film, you are still out in public. This wasn't this woman's house, so get your damn feet off the furniture. This doesn't just happen at the movies, either. I remember one incident from my time at Gillette Stadium. The luxury clubhouses featured couches for people to sit at and one cold, rainy game a woman came in during the first quarter, took off her shoes and spread out, hogging the space. No one could say anything to her because she was a season-ticket holder, but we were stunned by her complete obliviousness. Everyone else paid equally good money for their tickets, but she clearly thought of the area as hers. Apparently no one explained to her that while she paid to be there that money doesn't go towards buying that couch. Her sense of entitlement was astounding.

I understand the concept of making consumers comfortable to try and get them to hang around and spend even more money. However, I do think there is a line where putting customers at ease switches into making them a little too cozy and a lot of places are letting people cross that line, apparently forgetting that most people are quick to take advantage of a situation. It's perfectly reasonable to get what you paid for, but that doesn't mean you should let yourself go completely. It is the same principle behind why I never go crazy spreading out my belongings any time I check into a hotel room - I know that technically the room is mine for the next couple of days, but that still doesn't make it my home. (This mentality is probably why I also prefer to sleep in my own bed whenever possible.) Even more amazing is that some of these people do things which they would never do at their own home. Ask yourself - what are the odds these ladies put their dirty sneakers on their own couches? I'll put it another way: if when you were a little kid and your mother came in, would she tell you to stop whatever activity it is you are currently doing? If the answer is yes, than don't feel like you can do it just because it isn't your stuff getting wrecked. If you really want the full theater experience in your home you should build your own home theater. Until you do that, remember that the price of your ticket doesn't include anything more than one seat to watch the film and just because that seat has gotten increasingly comfortable that doesn't mean you get to treat it like it's yours. And if you find yourself in a mostly-empty theater and you are allowed to lounge, just consider it your lucky day and not the way things should be.

No comments: