Sunday, September 29, 2013

End Of The Road

Later tonight the final episode for the television show "Breaking Bad" will air. Of course, you probably already knew that because you haven't been able to turn on any channel without hearing about it for the last couple of weeks. The cast, which filmed the ending months ago, have been making the rounds on just about every show and podcast you can think of. Seriously, there are members of the Kardashians who think they are whoring themselves. I'm not denying it's a great show, I just think the love fest which has lasted over a month is getting to be too much. The fans are very loyal and enthusiastic, we get it. I'm not above falling into a little hyperbole myself but the other day I heard someone say that "Breaking Bad" was the most important show in history (wrong) and that we will never see anything like it again (also wrong). The most important show question is a personal choice and up for debate, but of course we will see another show like this. Everyone says the show was so innovative but between premium channels like HBO and Cinemax to go along with the basic cable ones like AMC and FX, lines will continue to be crossed and boundaries expanded. "Breaking Bad" was a great show, but we need to stop acting like the fact it is ending is akin to losing a family member. I have to say the only thing all this excessive attention has really accomplished is for casual viewers like me to wish the series would just hurry up and end already.

I just think too many people are doing that most annoying of habits, which is acting as though everything that happens today is the greatest thing which has ever or will ever happen, showing absolutely no perspective in the process. I know it is human nature to inflate recent events that we are excited about, but at the same time we shouldn't forget everything that has come before now. There have been plenty of popular things which have gone away before people were ready to let them go and do you know what happened? The world kept on spinning and we filled those fads in with other fads. I'm not saying people are going to look back at all this "Breaking Bad" love the way we look at the Macarena but I wouldn't be surprised to hear people admit they may have gone a little overboard in praising the show once they gain some distance. Besides, I still question just how popular this show really is. If you look at the ratings I can't help but question if all this attention is warranted. I know popularity doesn't equal quality but you also can't deny the fact that the show isn't actually watched by a huge chunk of the population. Also, do the math - it certainly seems like there are more people talking about how much they watch the show than actually tuning in to see it. (Then again, considering the show is mostly about a man who lies to everyone around him that is oddly fitting.) The thing is that I know it is only a matter of time before another big thing comes along that gets too much attention and drives me crazy, but after the last couple of weeks I am totally ready to embrace whatever it will be just because it will be something different.

No comments: