Thursday, August 5, 2010

More That Are Too Big For Twitter

-There is an old expression which says alcohol and prostitution are the only recession-proof industries. Well, with the news that tickets to Walt Disney World are going up to $82 for an adult, I think you can add the Mouse to that list as well. Parents were already paying through the nose just for the right to shop at the world's largest Disney store and stand in line for 2 hours to go on one ride and now Disney wants them to pay even more for that privilege? They aren't even opening any new attractions; it's simply more money for the same old rides. It seems like a rip-off to me. If I ever have kids I'm not letting them know who Mickey is until they turn 18 and they can plan their own trip to Disney if they want.

-There was a story on the news about a woman who was trolling on Facebook the one day and stumbled upon her husband's profile, featuring pictures of his marriage to a woman who was not her. Now there are all sort of weird details about how legal the marriage was and that kind of thing, but the thing I can't get over is the fact that he posted his wedding pictures on a Facebook page. If you're trying to hide your second marriage, perhaps using one of the most popular social networks on the planet is not the best way to go about it.

-I don't believe a word of the reports that Brett Favre hasn't decided what he is going to do this upcoming season. I would respect him a lot more if he would just come out and say, "You know what? I'm old, I'm tired and I know the offense. I don't need training camp. See you at the third pre-season game." This constant, "I'm retiring... Well, maybe not... I haven't decided... Ok, I'm back" melodrama got old when he first did it three seasons ago.

-So, it turns out that the only true statement ever to come out of the Golf Oil spill happened when the oil first started leaking and British Petroleum said that it would probably take until August for the thing to be fully sealed. Because of that track record I do not believe the report that 75% of the lost oil has either evaporated or been collected. I still suspect that we're going to start seeing balls of oil washing up on East Coast shores in the Fall.

-I really like that Notre Dame football will be added a four-game tilt with the University of Texas to their schedule in the future to go along with a series against the University of Miami. While I liked Charlie Weis, one of the things that bothered me was the soft scheduling that started to occur while he was there. I would rather the Irish lose games against tough opponents than beat up on the likes of Nevada and San Diego State. (Of course, I'm pretty sure that Charlie never envisioned losing to those alleged 'soft' opponents, which was what got the Irish a new coach to begin with.) Still, I'd be happy to see them go back to the days when the opened against schools like Georgia Tech and the Naval Academy was the easiest school on the schedule.

No comments: