Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Park It Somewhere Nice

I decided this morning that I am not a fan of valet parking. On the surface you would think I would be a fan because it save the hassle of driving around, trying finding a parking space, finally getting one... only to find yourself six blocks from the building you want to be in. Also, considering I have never been the quickest parallel-parker, you would expect me to like how it takes that totally out of the equation. However, there is just something about handing a complete stranger my car keys that makes me incredibly uncomfortable. I think it goes to the fact that I can't see where they are taking my truck once they go around the corner. I've seen too many movies, so I think they could be taking off on a joyride, like the guys in Ferris Bueller (hell, I assume it is written into their union contract that they get to do that once a year). Also, handing over my keys goes against every instinct I have had since I could first drive. I've always believed that before you lend anyone your vehicle you need to see the condition their car is in. If they have dents running up and down both sides then you obviously aren't going to let them behind the wheel. You don't get that kind of reassurance at a valet stand. Those guys could beat the hell out of their cars and you would never know. What you do when you valet is basically put your trust that this company has done their due diligence in terms of screening these employee and checking their driving records. And since we all know how "hard" it is to pass a driving test in this state even their due diligence isn't that comforting.

However, despite these reservations, I would never say anything to the valet, because even I know that you never, ever want to be the person who tells them to "be extra careful" with your car. Obviously, everyone wants them to be careful with their car - it doesn't matter whether it's a Cadillac or a Ford Focus. To feel the need to remind these people to be careful just because it is your car carries a certain level of arrogance - as if you care more about your car or the money you paid for it was harder to earn than everyone else. If these people screw up your car, they'll get fired (that is the best case scenario) and more likely sued. They know that, they don't need you to remind them of it and so it doesn't need to be said. Some woman who was dropping off her Lexus as I was picking my truck back up said "Tell him to be careful" to the guy in charge of the stand and even I quietly began hoping whoever got behind the wheel backed it into a pole. I assume that in the valet world being told to take extra car of some one's car is the equivalent of being a short order cook when someone sends the food back - anything goes at this point. All you have succeeded in doing is drawing a big bull's eye on your car. Frankly, if that statement ever slipped out of my mouth I would be downright terrified to get back into my car after that. God only knows what this guy could have left as a present and where he left it. Now who is the one who has to be careful?

-There are conflicting reports over whether Rajon Rondo asked off the Team USA roster this summer because he didn't feel up to playing or if he asked off as a way to beat team officials to the punch of telling him he wouldn't make the final roster. Either way, I'm fine with him not playing this summer. For all the talk about Doc needing to manage the minutes of older guys like Allen, Pierce and Garnett, the Celtics really need to keep an eye on Rondo this coming season. People forget how gassed he was by the end of the Finals. The guy plays at full tilt and is constantly crashing to the floor. How much wear spending all summer training with Team USA puts on players has always been an area of debate in NBA circles. Personally I don't think it causes too much damage unless the player has had several recent seasons with long playoff runs, which Rondo has. So, I'm glad he's getting the rest of the summer off. While the Celtics spent the summer beefing up the frontcourt with guys like Harangody and the O'Neals, they never did get around to signing a backup for Rondo, so his health is critical to the season. (No, I don't consider Nate Robinson a true point guard and Avery Bradley is already hurt.) I'm sure he's bummed about not being on the roster this year, but if Rondo keeps playing the way he has for the next two years he'll be all but impossible to ignore for the 2012 Olympics.

No comments: