Monday, August 23, 2010

Playing Catch-Up

-So, the Cleveland Cavaliers recently announced that they would be changing their uniforms back to something more reminiscent of the pre-LeBron James days. (Please, no one remind them they were terrible when they wore those uniforms. Let them have this one.) While the new uniforms shouldn't be considered a huge change, I figure that this is all just part of the grieving process as they try to get over being dumped on national television in an hour-long special. And, if all the chick-flicks I have been forced to watch through the years have taught me anything, they are very close. In the movies first comes anger (Dan Gilbert's hilarious temper-tantrum email to fans), then a make-over (new uniforms) before finally getting their groove back. However, this is the NBA so instead of rebounding with a sensitive new man who makes them happier than they have ever before, expect something more along the lines of trading for a journeyman center with a bad contract who takes them to a first round exit from the playoffs.

-You ever come across an innovation that makes so much sense it almost makes you angry that it took them so long to come up with it? For as long as I have played video games, nothing has frustrated me more than the unexpected movie at the end of a level. I often turn down games and listen to music because you can only hear Jon Madden say the same thing so many times, but because of this I have often miss the start of the video as I scramble to find the remote control to turn the sound back up. Well, on this year's edition of Tiger Woods golf, they actually give you the option of re-playing the video once it ends. It is so brilliant but so simple. The fact that there have been ten versions without this option now boggles my mind.

-You know what continues to bother me? The cost of shipping these days. I found a shirt online the other day that I kind of liked. Even better, it was on sale. The shirt cost $18, but shipping it to me would have cost $8. You know, I wouldn't even mind paying that much if I thought it meant the clothes would come carefully packaged, but that won't be the case. I've bought enough clothes online to know that all it will be is a sealed bag with a stamp on it. I was tempted to write the company an email and offer to send them a self-addressed, stamped envelope large enough to hold the shirt as a counter-offer. Alas, I doubt they would take me up on it, so I didn't bother to buy anything from them.

-Last week someone asked Kurt Warner's wife who she thought should play Kurt in a movie. [Sidebar: I don't know if a movie based on Warner's life is really being worked on or not, but we should all expect it eventually. You just know someone started on a script the second the Rams won a Super Bowl. I'm actually stunned they waited for him to retire before they began production.] Anyway, Mrs. Warner said she thought Denzel Washington was a good choice. First of all, doesn't Denzel seem a little old for the part? Research shows he is a full sixteen years older than Warner, which could make the football scenes a little tough on him. It's probably a better idea to get a younger actor and make them look older than trying to pull off the other way around. Secondly, does Brenda Warner know what her husband actually looks like? It appears Mrs. Warner has been spending a lot of time on the MyHeritage website. I'll say this, though - if Denzel pulls that role off give him an Oscar immediately.

No comments: