Monday, August 9, 2010

You're Going The Wrong Way

-I was just reading about the prisoner who escaped from a jail in Arizona last week only to be captured in Wyoming this morning. Now before I go any further I want to be clear on something: while I'm pretty sure that I'm not going to do anything that ever lands me in jail, I'm extremely confident in saying that if I did ever ended up there I would not be able to pull off an escape, so clearly these guys are better criminals than me. That being said, if you were to escape from a jail in Arizona, wouldn't you head for Mexico instead of Canada? Seriously, you're already pretty much there. If you believe Fox News there is practically a class on how to cross the US border from Mexico, so going the opposite way should be fairly easy. It's like living in Pennsylvania, deciding you want to swim in the ocean and heading for the Pacific. I don't care if you don't do well in heat, at that moment you should take whatever option is closest.

-I get very frustrated when I see a situation in which everyone agrees there is a problem and even though that situation may have an easy fix no one is willing to step forward to force people to work together on a solution. I'm talking, of course, about the fact that you can't buy Beatles music on iTunes. Over the weekend Yoko Ono told people they, "shouldn't hold their breath" waiting for Beatles music to appear in the iStore. Do you have any idea how annoying that is? Seriously, I could go on right now and buy all the Go West I could ever want, but no Beatles. Does that seem like something that should be happening in 2010? I'm sure that like all other thing, the main sticking point holding up negotiations is money. Well, iTunes should just pay whatever the people controlling the Beatles music want, because I'm sure they'll make their money back and then some. Honestly, let me get these people in a room together - I'll have this straightened out in no time.

-Recently the NBA announced that they would be holding a couple of regular season games in London this season. Even though I have contended for a while that the NFL should stop trying to cram football down the throats of Europeans and simultaneously pissing off their own fans, I think this is much better marketing idea for the NBA. First off, basketball is a global game, with leagues of some kind being played at various levels all over the world and therefore people might actually know what the hell is going on during the games they watch. Secondly, this isn't like a 16-game schedule with every game having serious implications; there are 82 games in an NBA season and even the players would tell you they don't really start playing hard until April. No one is going to notice or even care all that much if you take the Nets and Raptors and make them play in London for a week in March. As long as the Heat/Cavalier and Heat/Laker games are on TV none of the diehards will complain too much.

-Every year when I glance at the Hall of Fame game (even I think early August is too early to sit down and watch an entire football game), I watch the interviews with the players who were just inducted and I always come away with the same thought: man, those Hall of Fame Jackets are ugly. Honestly, these guys have sacrificed their bodies for years; suffering injuries that are most likely going to end up taking years off the back end of their lives, and what do they get for being the best at their chosen profession? A bust that never looks anything like them and yellow jacket that your wife wouldn't let you buy if you picked it out in a store. Nothing we can do about the busts, but there has to be a better looking jacket they could start handing out.

No comments: