Tuesday, February 8, 2011

License To Drive

I have once again come to that time in my life when I needed to renew my license. Taking my cue from Liz, I decided to go during the middle of the week and fairly early in the day to try and avoid a long wait. I appreciate that in this day and age not only you can do 98% of the transaction online, but you can also see how long the wait is at the various locations. Armed with the knowledge that the wait was currently "Less than 5 minutes", I decided to go to the Attleboro branch of the RMV. Now, for those of you who have never been, the Attleboro branch could best be described as 'out of the way.' I've heard of illegal raves that would be easier to find. Not only is it several miles away from the nearest major roadway, but the entrance is at the back of a large building, down a flight of stairs and through two doors. Like the door to the platform for the train to Hogwart's, you have to believe it is there before it appears. It is fortunate I have access to a GPS, because otherwise I might still be wandering around the streets of Attleboro looking for this place.

However, once I got in, it was everything you could hope a business transaction with the Commonwealth of Massachusetts would be. There was no one else around, so no sooner had I pressed the button to take my ticket (B-14) than an electronic voice let me know they were now serving ticket B-14. (In hindsight, making me go through the motions of taking a ticket was actually a waste of time, but I figure they like procedure.) Anyway, I walked up to the only woman working and because I had filled out all of my paperwork before getting there I took my eye test and on my way in under 4 minutes. Glorious. Now, you may be wondering, other than the eye test what that last 2% I had to get done was - it was taking a new picture. Technically, I had a new license picture taken at 26 and could have rolled it over for another five years, but I like having a fresh picture for each new license. After all, I don't look the exact same as I did five years ago and with my luck if I ever get pulled over I'm likely to get the one cop who demands accuracy. I would hate to end up in handcuffs because I no longer rock the chin-strap beard.

However, it was a risk, because my last picture was a good one. Still, with a fresh haircut and shave I felt confident I was ready to take another good picture. What I didn't know going in is that in the past five years the state has changed their policy and no longer allow any eyewear to be worn in license pictures. I assume it has to do with either the majority of people who need corrective lenses wearing contacts, so rather than cops having to ask if people are wearing them they can just assume they are, or more people wearing those self-darkening lenses, which aren't good for pictures with a flash. Whatever the reasoning, it made for a very weird picture for me, because I'm never not wearing my glasses. They are on first thing in the morning and don't come off until I'm going to bed. Honestly, most of my friends can't even imagine me without them. As a result, my eyes were clearly not ready for this much light and my new license picture has taken on a deer-in-the-headlights look. Guess I should have stuck with the old one. But, the good news is that in a short five years I can try again.

1 comment:

Liz said...

Too bad about the picture! I'm glad you had zero wait time at the RMV. Early morning, mid week FOR THE WIN! PS I had to go in this time to renew the picture, and believe me, I didn't want to let the one I had go. I had just turned 21 and the world was my oyster. In this picture I look tired and haggard. Damn you, 31 years of life!