Thursday, August 11, 2011

So, Are We Broke Or Not?

The biggest news story of the week was the United States' credit rating getting downgraded by Standard & Poors from AAA to AA+. I can not tell you how much this upsets me. Not because of how easily it could all have been avoided if people in Washington would have just tried to actually work together instead of digging in their heels along party lines, but because at the end of the day I have no idea what it means.

I've never been an economics guy. I balance my checkbook and that's about it. Perhaps the reason I've stayed out of all the issues with the stock market is because I don't have any stocks. I'm just not wired that way. For example, this afternoon there was a story in my Google News feed from Forbes.com with the title, "How safe is your muni?" Immediately, I assumed it was a story about golf courses that might have to close. This is why I took "Math for English Majors" in college. Thankfully, while Jon Stewart can't explain the situation to me, he can at least make me laugh through the tears...

No comments: