Sunday, January 29, 2012

Storms Above The Clouds

Late in the week the planet was hit with a few solar storms. Apparently, these are just the first in a long line of storms that are expected to come Earth's way, as our solar system experiences what I can only assume is an El Nino-esque pattern in space. The storms don't do any damage to the planet - just create some very vibrate Northern Lights. Since I don't live where the Northern Lights can easily be viewed, I'll have to take the scientists word for it. I think this lack of obvious result is why our space and science programs are losing their momentum. Kids are raised on comic books where stuff falling from space grants super powers or have some other cool consequence. The reality is that things either burn up before they get here or they don't do anything cool once they arrive. It's a little bit of a let-down. I'm not saying that I want these solar storms to create a super-villain who tries to conquer the world - I'm just saying that if that were to happen I think next year's science fair would be much more well-attended.

No comments: