Wednesday, November 17, 2010

One Down...

Finally the long, annoying battle between the people who control The Beatles catalog and Apple has been resolved and you can now buy Beatles songs through iTunes. Frankly, I'm not sure what took so long, but I'm glad that it has finally been put to bed. Not surprisingly, The Beatles have been dominating the iTunes sales lists since the deal was finalised earlier this week, proving that a lot of fans have been waiting for this and it should turn out to be lucrative to both Apple and the remaining members of the band. (Hopefully this means we will stop seeing great songs used as the music for commercials about hotel rooms and communication systems.) Now that The Beatles have come on board there are just a few remaining musical acts that have to be persuaded iTunes is not the devil. Here are the next five I would like to see come on board.

-AC/DC: They say they don't want to be on iTunes because they prefer their albums be bought as a whole. Apparently, they don't know that you can put 'album only' restrictions on there. While I appreciate the sentiment, you have to question anyone who claims to be standing up for their work as an artist against the big, bad companies while simultaneously signing a deal that gives Wal-Mart the exclusive rights to sell their CDs.

-Garth Brooks: Maybe he's just holding out until they agree to not include his work as Chris Gaines.

-Bob Segar: I'll be honest, I didn't even know he was missing until I did a Google search. I wonder if iTunes is aware he isn't available?

-Tool: Like AC/DC they want people to listen to their entire albums at one time, but they claim it is so the listener can have the complete musical experience. Like an opera, you can't appreciate just one song standing alone. I guess, given the band's name, I shouldn't be surprised at this attitude.

-Kid Rock: According to reports, Rock's biggest problem with iTunes is that all music is valued the same way and he doesn't think that should be the case. He would prefer that good songs cost more and poor songs be cheaper, if not free. I would be curious to see which side he feels his music falls on.

No comments: