Thursday, April 7, 2011

Feeling Extra Stupid

It's human nature to feel foolish when you don't know how to do something. No one likes to admit that they aren't capable and having to do so comes with an ego-crushing feeling of inadequacy. And the simpler the task you don't know how to do, the stronger that feeling of stupidity is. I'm fully convinced that most of the world's problems come from someone being unwilling to admit that they aren't familiar with some procedure, trying to figure it out on the fly, getting angry at the person who comes along and actually does know how to do that task and the next thing you know we're in the middle of a world war.

Still, as bad as that is, the worst of these feelings happens when you realise you have completely forgotten how to do some simple task you have previously done a dozen times. The other afternoon I needed to cash a check. Now, for the past few years I have been simply depositing my money and going back for it later, but it was a small check and I just needed gas money, so I figured straight cash would serve me better, give me one fewer stop and save me time. However, as I was gathering my stuff to head out for errands, it occurred to me that I wasn't sure what went into the act of cashing a check. Did I need an ID? Did I have to go to the bank the check was written from or could I use my own bank? Was there a fee involved? The fact that I couldn't remember was actually kind of alarming. I mean, I know it has been a few years, but it isn't like I was trying to remember a complicated surgical procedure. I'm almost ashamed to admit this, but I ended up looking it up online.

Making this even more annoying to me is that I'm usually quite good at remembering things. Therefore, you would imagine that I would have retained this knowledge, especially when you factor in that things I have no need to remember stick with me for years. For example, right now I could tell you exactly how my previous workplace was organized and I wouldn't go back to that place if they offered me a raise and put a gun to my head. Yet this task which people do everyday (and I'm clearly going to have to do again in the future) left my brain. It's extremely annoying to feel this stupid.

-Another reason that this bothered me more than it should is because not remembering how to cash a check came shortly after another incident of brain freeze. Earlier this week I was driving when I came to a red light. Sitting there, a large truck came around the corner, making a wide turn. So wide, in fact, that the driver had to keep turning even after he was on the street to make sure his trailer could make the turn with him. As a result, for a moment it appeared he was about to ram me. Therefore, out of instinct, I turned my wheel away from him. This would have been wonderful evasive driving if I had been moving, but at the time I was sitting perfectly still. Essentially, all I was doing was trying to turn a park car. To make matters worse, the truck didn't even come that close to my car. Clearly, it has not been my brightest week. So, if you talk to them, don't mention this to the MENSA people.

No comments: