Monday, April 11, 2011

Wave Hunters

When I am in my car, I am a big fan of the courtesy wave. I know it is just a simple flick of the wrist but it goes a long way in saying, "Hey, I know you didn't have to let me go first, but you did. I appreciate that." It is nice of the person you let through to acknowledge the gesture. Conversely, I am vehemently against those people don't give a courtesy wave when you allow them to merge, as if not only were you expected to let them go first but, frankly, you're lucky to be on the same road as them to begin with. It is those drivers who make me want to carry a paintball gun around in my truck and tag their cars with a couple of quick (brightly-colored) shots. I figure the benefits will be three-fold:

1. I'll feel better.
2. They will think twice about forgetting to give a wave next time.
3. In the future other drivers will be aware it is not worth letting the driver of this vehicle go first because they are rude.

However, as much as we all like getting a courtesy wave, that doesn't excuse the people who go wave hunting. These are the people who stop and want you to go first, even when it isn't that pressing of an issue. What they really want is for you to feel beholden to them. I had this happen today when I was driving through some side streets in a not-at-all busy section of my town. I was driving down a cross street when I came to the intersection with one car approaching; the other driver was on the main street and I was looking to turn onto that street, so the other car obviously had the right of way. But there were no cars behind me, none behind her and none coming the opposite directions, so I was going to have to wait a grand total of about thirty seconds before it was my turn. Not a big deal in the slightest. But, instead of simply continuing on this woman slammed on her brakes, stuck her hand out the window and violently (I feel this is the best adjective) waved her hand back and forth, demanding I turn first.

I almost felt like putting my car in park, rolling down my window and informing this woman that not only was making me go first unnecessary, but during high volume times her actions would actually slow traffic. However, knowing that would make me look rather insane, I instead just pulled out onto the street and gave her a half-hearted wave as I passed. Still, I was annoyed with feeling obligated to give a courtesy wave for something that wasn't actually a courtesy. She's just lucky I didn't have a paintball gun on me.

No comments: