Friday, April 29, 2011

Seemed Bigger Last Year

So, I coaxed my dad into playing a little hooky today and heading down to Wareham to open up the beach house. Now, after years and years of having to spend the first day down the beach trying to repair pipes which had burst over the winter, my family decided a couple of years ago to make the excellent decision to have someone else blow out the pipes every fall. What this does is make sure there is no water left in the pipes to freeze and makes opening up the cottage the following spring approximately 3,000% easier. It is, year in and year out, one of the best decision we make.

You see, I am not a small man. I have come to accept this. Also, I do not like spiders. Therefore, crawling under a house and through cobwebs with a torch to try and seal a broken pipe is not my idea of a good time. By having someone else take care of it months beforehand all I have to do it go in a couple of feet, put on some plumber's tape around a nut and plug one valve. It takes four minutes. In fact, there is only one issue and that is that every year the door to get under the house seems smaller. I'm not even talking narrower; I mean the door seems physically shorter. Every year it feels like I have to get lower to the ground just to crawl under the house. Once I'm under the house the space seems the same, it's the act of getting there that feels like more of a journey. Honestly, do you think there is any chance I'm getting taller?

-So, I didn't watch a second of the Royal Wedding this morning, but I know four little girls that did. Apparently, they were mesmerized by the entire process. (I mean, what were the odds that four girls who have been obsessed with princesses for the last two years would be interested in someone becoming a real, actual princess?) Also, Abigail now thinks Westminster Abbey is named after her. No one is in a hurry to correct her.

No comments: