Sunday, May 29, 2011

For The Bruins

Don't worry, I'm not hopping on the bandwagon. I've said it before: I have too much respect for the Bruins fans in this town to do that to them. This is their moment. (Although I would like to add, even though I would rather go to a Celtics game 10 out of 10 times, the music is so much better at hockey games.) I just want to give the team and their fans the credit they deserve.

I've always contended that Bruins fans are among the most loyal in this city because while everyone talks about the Red Sox not winning the World Series for 86 years, at least they were trying. For the past 20 years the Bruins ownership wouldn't even put a serious effort into it; they would always settle for the third or fourth best free-agent or the over-the-hill player with the big name who signed for cheap. Yet, the Bruins fans would always show up, 8 or 9 thousand strong, despite knowing full well they had no chance in hell of winning the Cup that year. It's one thing to support a team run by idiots who try and fail, like the Patriots did until the Krafts showed up, it's entirely another to live and die for a team who's owner could spend money and simply won't.

So no, I'm not going to turn into one of those fans who started watching hockey 15 minutes ago, yet claims to know how to fix the Bruin's power-play woes and thinks wearing a brand-new Tim Thomas shirt will be enough to fool the diehards. At the end of the day I want the Bruins to win, but I'm not going to lose any sleep if they don't, and I know that is enough to make me unworthy to join the celebration. My inclusion (or any other bandwagon-jumpers) would only cheapen the experience. Instead I'm just going to say Congratulations, good luck against Vancouver and enjoy the ride.

No comments: