Sunday, May 22, 2011

A Rapturing Interlude

So, despite much fanfare and hand-wringing, yesterday came and went without the Rapture taking place.* One thing about the world I can never understand is why we give some crazy people attention and credibility but not others. I guess it has to do with whether or not they are successful in other areas of life, as if that would somehow translate to success in forecasting the end of the world. For example, one guy says the world is going to end and just because he happens to own several radio stations we act like he might know what he's talking about, even though that same guy said the world was going to end in 1994 and then when it didn't he blamed bad math. (You would think that would have instantly discredited him, but it didn't.) Meanwhile, if the guy down the street says the world is going to end, he gets a visit from the cops because he's only an alcoholic and therefore he's "bothering people." It's a vicious double-standard.



*(I mean, I'm assuming. I write my Saturday and Sunday stuff on Thursday. Maybe everything and everybody is going crazy right now and I'm not even here. If I don't post anything on Monday, consider that my bad.)

No comments: