Monday, September 5, 2011

Too Many Looks

It has come to my attention that while I watch my fair share of television, I'm not watching what everyone else is. Obviously, I don't watch reality TV, but I also usually watch sports instead of most sitcoms. This lack of variety seems to bother some people a lot more than it bothers me. In fact, the only problem I have about watching so much sports is that they seem to run the same ads over and over again. Advertising companies only afford to make a few ads a year so when there are only a couple of sponsors for a specific sporting event, the pickings can be pretty slim. It's either repeat the same commercials or roll out old ones. Personally, I would rather they go with old commercials. Seeing the same ads every commercial break isn't a good idea for anyone involved.

I must have seen the commercial below 100 times over the past couple of weeks. Which means I've had way too many opportunities to pick it apart. Things a normal person probably wouldn't notice are now the only things I can see when it comes on TV. I know it's only a :30 second commercial, but that doesn't mean we can't pick it apart, "Mystery Science Theater 3000"-style.


:05 My first complaint. What happens to all the people he shooed away? Are they now 20 miles from their cars? If so, that's a very dickish thing to do. If you're not happy with a place typically that's your hang-up, so why don't you leave and we'll stay?

:13 Isn't this commercial supposed to be for a light beer, enjoyed by people who lead active lifestyles and don't want to build up calories? Then you shouldn't zoom in and make them automatically closer. If I know anything about the people who order Michelob Ultra, I can safely assume they would be the kind of people who would appreciate the extra exercise. Stop being lazy and make your friends walk the 300 feet to get to you.

:20 This is my biggest complaint. Making the sun go down is only speeding up the day. It is the same as rolling a clock forward. If you're having such a great time, wouldn't you want the party to last longer? 7 seconds ago you couldn't wait for your friends to get there and now you're trying to make a quick exit. And look at the woman's face when she's done setting the sun. It's like someone just commented on how it's only 2 o'clock and she smirks back at them with, "Oh, wow, it's already 6. We have a sitter, so we should get going."

Now, obviously, I've seen this commercial too much. For my sanity, I'm begging you, Michelob Ultra, make some new commercials. And make a bunch, otherwise I'm just going to tear those apart as well.

No comments: