Thursday, April 22, 2010

My Reputation Is Spared

So, yesterday was all kinds of awesome. I went into Boston to meet up with Liz, Pam, Kim and Wes and we went on an impromptu pub-crawl. We started at the Union Oyster House, followed that up with the Green Dragon, a quick stop over in the North End, then it was the Times and, if the SJC asks, nowhere else. The only hitch was that I started to feel like crap fairly early in the day. At first I blamed it on the fact that I didn't eat breakfast and had a very small lunch (such a rookie mistake), but trying to counteract it with food did not have the desired effect and actually did more harm than good. Well, it turns out that it wasn't the Sam Summers, but instead some sort of virus that has come to my family through two of my nieces, spread to one of my sisters and now my parents are both fighting it. Thank God. Not that I want to wish ill-health on anyone, but for a while there I was feeling like a lightweight. Really, before I took some Advil and passed out for 12 hours I was thinking this blog post was going to be more in the form of a Hancock-like apology for my terrible performance, "You deserve better from me. I can be better. I will be better."

-One other comment from yesterday. I was walking down the Rose Kennedy Greenway that has filled in what used to be the Expressway. It was the first time I have gotten to stroll through the area during a warm period and actually take in the sights. The odd thing I noticed is that there are a few remaining beams left from the Expressway that have been cleaned up and remain on display. Here's my question: ummm, why? Everyone pretty much agrees that the Expressway was terrible, an eyesore and made the area undesirable. Also, the plan that was needed to un-do the Expressway is universally mocked as the biggest over-budget project in history. (Though, on the positive side, we did get a sweet golf course and ice cream flavor out of it.) Still, why are we trying to remember it? I know that Boston is a city that loves its own history and we love to remind people of the way things used to be around here, but c'mon, we're celebrating the Expressway? Not everything from the past was awesome. We can forget about some things and no one would mind it.

-Here's my unofficial draft preview for the Patriots: I want the team to take Texas DE/LB Sergio Kindle. I like drafting guys from big-time programs who have a history of playing in big-time games. The transition from college to NFL will be hard enough without suddenly getting wide-eyed due to the big stage. Also, he's flexible to a couple of positions, which is a key to playing on the Patriots defense. The team needs some serious pass-rushing help and I think he'll be the best of what's left at pick #22. Also, in a rare move for the Patriots, I think they use all 4 of their early picks. I don't see them using all 12 draft picks, they'll move around and stockpile a couple extra late ones for next year, but I do think they use the early ones to fill some holes. And, for all the talk that they will use their second round pick on Tim Tebow, I have another Florida Gator in mind in the second round: Brandon Spikes. That kid is a playmaker and as polished a defensive guy as you are going to find in the NFL draft. They can hold off on tight end until later in the draft. Also, don't buy into the smoke screen of all the talk about Dez Bryant. First off, I doubt he's still around and even if he is, the signing of Tory Holt tells me the Patriots don't plan to use a high draft pick on a receiver. I think Belichick was burned by trading up for Chad Jackson and doesn't plan on making that mistake twice. Like running back it's a position the team feels they can fill with picks in the lower rounds. Still, I'm pretty excited for the draft because, honestly, after the first five picks no one is really sure how it will all break down. Add in the sudden revelation that Ben Roethlisberger is available and that could throw an entire new wrench into the works.

2 comments:

Liz said...

I'm glad you're on the mend. Have some Sam Summers on your healed stomach for me - I miss them already!

Kim said...

I'm glad to hear you can actually drink more than you did that day. I was concerned for your reputation. No friend of Liz's drinks THAT little amount of beer!!!