Saturday, September 4, 2010

My Day At TPC Boston

On Thursday I had the chance to go to TPC Boston and check out the Championship Pro-Am. To be honest, I was probably more interested in simply seeing the course since I had never been there before. Despite temperatures in the 90s, it turned out to be a good day to go because I avoided the hurricane and got to bring a camera onto the grounds. Also, because there were no signs to tell you what the hell it means when they designate something as the "green" lot, I accidentally ended up parking amongst the volunteers for free, so I had that going for me. (Don't worry, they made their money back with $3 waters.) Below you'll see some of the pictures I took as I wandered around the place.

I got there a little later in the afternoon and wasn't sure where they were on the schedule. The first pro I stumbled upon was Anthony Kim coming off the tee at #9, which apparently is next to the surface of the sun. This is what happens when you try and take a picture looking into the sun.

After AK, I started to work my way backwards through the front nine, at which point I found Padraig Harrington playing in his pro-am with Celtics owner Steve Pagliuca (dark green shirt). Frankly, as a huge Celtics fan, I'm not sure who I was more excited to see. Pagliuca had a very nice Celtics golf bag and I was going to ask him where he got it, but then I figured if you own the team you don't ever have to buy anything with their logo on it. After these guys was Camilo Villegas' group, but I couldn't get a good picture. Don't blame me, the guy is tiny and quick.

Speaking of not being able to get a good picture, the next guy to come along was Rickie Fowler. Now, every time I went to snap a picture of him the amateur's caddy would step into my way. I don't think it was on purpose, but it was certainly annoying. This was the best I could do. I also successfully resisted the urge to tell him to get a haircut.

It was at this point I came across Hunter Mahan on the sixth hole. Since Mahan is my favorite golfer, I followed this group as they finished up their round, which had started on the back. Due to the good vibes I sent him during the pro-am, I take full credit for Mahan shooting -7 the next day.

Once Mahan finished up I decided to check out the back nine. This is the 200 yard marker on #10, which is just off the cart path and behind trees that hide the green. I loved this. I can only assume they put this marker here because a lot of guys had to play from this spot, proving that just because a club is expensive, it doesn't mean the guys who belong are any better at golf than the guys at the muny.


This is the shot over the 12th green looking back at the driving range. Alright, I'll admit it's a little nicer than the range I go to.


Hey, look, it's Stuart Appleby. Or Robert Allenby. I always get those two confused. (Kidding... It's Appleby, Mr. 59.)

Here's the 16th hole, a par 3 over mostly water. I put the over/under on number of amateurs' balls in the drink at 150. Also, those structures behind the green are temporary luxury boxes. Remind me to get one when the sponsorships for my blogs start to roll in.

Here's the closing 18th and this isn't even from the tips. Remember this view when they say on TV how easy this hole is playing.

After checking out the closing holes I wanted to see the rest of the front nine that I missed. This is the view behind the second green, looking back towards the tee which is hidden behind that tree in the distance. The area in front of the green is all water. Would you like to automatically write down a 7, or do you feel like earning your 9?

I guess my only complaint about the course layout is that in a couple cases there is a lot of distance between the holes. You go from a golf course to Sherwood Forest. This is the road from #3 to #4.

Once you emerge from the forest, you find yourself on the "short" par-4 4th hole. Again, short is a relative term. Everyone goes for the green in one, and no one in the group I saw made it.

Not even Ernie Els who, everyone feels to the need to point out, is really tall for a golfer. However, in my family, he's average.

Now that I had seen the entire course I figured I would check out the driving range to see who was still practicing. Turns out Rory McIlroy was still working, which was cool.

And here are all the equipment trucks next to the range, just in case any of the pros want a new club right away. Not 40 minutes later I saw the TaylorMade truck on the side of the road with its hazard lights on. You can write your own joke for that one.

Overall it was a really fun day and nice to check out a course I had seen on TV. Also, I have a new understanding of why golfers are so aware of noise in the crowds, cause it is silent out there.

No comments: