Friday, September 10, 2010

Unanswered Questions (Movie Edition)

Because we're not quite back to new shows on TV yet, I've been watching a lot of old movies on various cable channels. I think I need to stop this, because the more I re-watch the same movie, the more things I notice and more questions spring from these new observations. After a while it just wrecks the entire experience, to the point I can't even watch the movie anymore. Here are three that I've noticed in the last couple of days.

Lean On Me. You know the one mom who is really pissed off that her son was kicked out of high school? The one played by Lynne Thigpen? (Or, as I knew her when I first saw this movie in 1990, the woman from Where In The World Is Carmen San Diego?) How come when she is standing there, loudly complaining about the new principle who is desperate to try to clean up the school, no one stands up and says, "Um, excuse me, but wasn't your kid a drug dealer and that was why he got kicked out? Maybe if you spent half as much time being a parent as you seem to be able to to try and get this guy fired then your kid wouldn't be such a waste?" She obviously wasn't parent of the year. Seriously, who thought giving her a bullhorn at the end of the movie was a good idea?

Jaws II. Every time I see the same guy from the first movie is still Mayor, it drives me crazy. How is this guy still in office? I know that these were the days before 24-hour cable news networks, but how the hell was this guy re-elected after he was told by experts that there was a major shark still in the water and he decided not only to keep the beaches open, but to not even warn the public? Did he run unopposed? Also, as he pointed out in the first movie, his kids were also on that beach. So, not only is he a bad mayor, he's a bad father. This country loves family values in politics - that guy should have been crushed in his re-election campaign. Even if that the fact he knew was kept under wraps at the time you know it would get out eventually. This was an island town - I have a feeling everyone knew everyone else's business before too long. I'll totally buy that a giant, man-eating Great White Shark is coming for one specific family before I'll believe that that guy could possibly still be Mayor.

Rudy. This one kills me because Rudy has slowly but surely moved up my rankings as my favorite sports movie of all time, to the point it is now nipping at Hoosiers' heels. A couple days ago Joe Montana, who was on that Notre Dame squad, was on Dan Patrick's radio show and he mentioned that about 60% of what happened in Rudy was false. There was no turning in of jerseys and the lifting of Rudy after the game was mostly done because the other players were messing around. Now, the title of this post is unanswered questions, so here's mine: Joe, why you gotta break balls?

No comments: