Monday, January 24, 2011

AFC/NFC Championship Ramblings

-I don't think there is anything ESPN loves more than an issue they can run into the ground by having all 10,000 of the former players on their staff come on television to give their opinion about it. So, they must have been ecstatic yesterday when Bears quarterback Jay Cutler (who is already known around the league as kind of a prick) left the NFC Championship game despite not appearing to suffer a serious injury. The past 24 hours have been filled with former players and coaches coming out and questioning Cutler's heart, toughness and desire by saying that when a trip to the Super Bowl is on the line it doesn't matter what the injury is, you should play through the pain. Now, I disagree with most of them because I don't believe you can become an NFL quarterback unless you love football and work really hard to get there, but I do have one thing to add (and it actually pains me to say this): Brett Favre doesn't come out of that game. If you want to know why teammates got on a jet and flew to Mississippi before the season started to haul him out of retirement one last time, that's the reason. I don't think Cutler will ever get the same treatment.

-During the game the Bears were tight-lipped about what the problem was and it wasn't until late this afternoon that they revealed Cutler had actually suffered a sprained MCL. While I don't think the Bears did him any favors by waiting to release this information, I feel like the main culprit in this becoming a mini-scandal was the broadcast team for FOX. Normally, I find sideline reporters to be a fairly useless bunch, but if there was ever a time one could have come in handy, it was right there. I didn't hear a peep about the training staff working on Cutler or anything. I mean, if you're not going to give us information like this, what are you even doing there? But, no, please, give us another cliche-filled interview from the coaches about halftime adjustments.

-I clearly missed the memo about the re-design of the AFC and NFC Championship trophies, so forgive me if I'm late to the party, but who thought the new design looked good? It went from a very simple wood-based trophy to a silver outline of a football. I'm all for updating a look, but whoever was in charge of that either needs to be fired or go back to the drawing board, because my first thought was that they ran out of time before finishing.

-The thing I enjoyed most about the AFC Championship was afterwards when Mark Sanchez, in his best "I'm not one to make excuses, but hold on while I make an excuse", said the Jets had communication problems all game, specifically during the drive in which the Jets were stuffed three times at the goal line and came away with no points. I'm sure not being able to hear his offensive coordinator was not helpful to the cause, but that really has nothing to do with an offensive line not being able to gain one yard in a playoff game. But, don't worry Mark, I'm sure being the next Donovan McNabb will suit you well.

-So, my first thoughts about Packers/Steelers have the Packers with a slight advantage. The Steelers have been holding their offensive line together with glue and now it looks like they will be without their starting center, who was the only guy to make it through the entire season at his position. I think the Green Bay defense will be able to get to Roethlisberger and their secondary will make a couple plays on his hurried throws. Also, I think Green Bay's offense is built for a dome and I'm not sure Pittsburgh will be able to keep up on the fast Dallas track. I'm not expecting a blow-out by any means, but unless something changes in the next two weeks, I'll take Packers in a close game.

No comments: