Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Skipping Ahead

Apparently, we're in for another round of snow Wednesday night which is going to give us somewhere between 6 and 46 inches. Whatever. Totals like that don't even phase me anymore. Let me explain why: normally at this point of the season the Boston area has received 16 inches of snow. This winter has already hit us with over 50 inches. You can see why I've become numb. Honestly, in times like this I don't even have the energy to complain about it. Hell, I barely have the energy to shovel it. I've written before about how at some point the snow gets to us and most Massachusetts residents reach a level of self-negotiating that is normally reserved for alcoholics:
"Ok, I can handle one or two inches without shovelling, no problem. How much snow is it? Five inches? You know what, I bet I can drive over that. It's supposed to be warm later in the week, that'll take care of melting most of it, right? It'll be gone before you know it. But, anything over six inches and I have to get out there... Well, maybe I can still drive over six inches. I do have an SUV. Eight, that's the number. Anything more than eight inches and I'll shovel..."

The thing is, because we are so beaten down by the snow, the local meteorologists don't even feel like reporting on anything less than a blizzard, which annoys me. Last night the entire weather report was about how much snow we're expect to get on Wednesday and didn't mention a thing about Tuesday. Well, I woke up this morning to two more inches of snow in the driveway. Now, I understand that when we're getting snow in foot and a half chunks every other week, reporting on some flurries seems like a talking about someone spilling a drink on the deck of the Titanic. However, that doesn't mean I don't want to know about it. Seriously, you can't leave this stuff out. You guys pretty much get the summer off, so don't think you can gloss over small totals. I'd rather know it's coming than be surprised first thing in the morning.

-There was a story earlier today about a big football booster at UConn who has donated over $3 million to the program and would now like it back because the University didn't hire the football coach he wanted. It was an interesting (in a how-sausage-is-made kind of way) article on just how much influence some boosters expect to have in exchange for building a new weight room. While I don't think he will or should get his money back (donating money doesn't make you athletic director), it does shine a light on the state of UConn football. I mean, $3 million wouldn't make you among the top-ten boosters for the University of Texas and this guy thinks that kind of money should allow him to essentially run the entire operation. Suddenly I can understand why Randy Edsall left for Maryland.

No comments: