Thursday, January 20, 2011

Entertainment Quickies...

Yep, one of those days with lots of little thoughts, but nothing worthy of an entire blog post. It's cold, we're getting another half a foot of snow tomorrow and everyone around here has been defeated by winter. You can't blame me for fighting some writer's block...

-It was announced earlier this week that Regis Philbin will be stepping away from Regis & Kelly at some point over the summer. Almost immediately, people began to speculate over who would be stepping up to fill his shoes. Here's my question: why is this such a desirable gig? Does anyone out there watch this show? I personally don't know any people that do. It's not like this launched Kelly Ripa to super-stardom, so why is would people be so anxious to take his job? You have to get up really early, pretend to care what awful movie the celebrity of the day is selling and act as though you are really excited the entire time. I mean, I would do it, but I have little else to do with my mornings.

-It sounds like Anne Hathaway is going to be the new Catwoman. While this new Batman franchise appears to be much better than the previous installments, I have to wonder if this is a good idea. I mean, Halle Berry went from Oscar winner to irrelevant not long after making her version of Catwoman and Michelle Pfeiffer's career was never the same either. Hathaway was just starting to get out of the whole "awkward princess" type-casting. I know superhero movies are no longer seen as the career-killer they once were, but I don't know if you can ever be taken seriously again once you have been thrown around by wires while wearing tights.

-The new season of American Idol debuted last night and it sounds as if the overnight ratings were not good - down significantly from last year. (I didn't watch it, but I never watch it, so don't blame me.) Personally, I'm fine with this because I'm sick of this show and the fact that the local Fox affiliates have to consider what happens on it to be actual news. I held out and won my battles against shows like 24, Lost, and Heroes. Every time the ratings are bad I am one step closer to outlasting American Idol.

-I always have to scoff when I hear actors trying to sell their generic movie with the premise that their new film is nothing like all those previous generic movies, because they would never make that kind of film. For example, Natalie Portman has been going around saying how much she hates the stereotypical romantic comedies and thinks they are insulting to women. Yeah, I'm sure No Strings Attached, about two friends who start sleeping with one another while vowing not to fall in love, is just chocked full of new ideas that no one has ever seen before.

-So apparently Jessie James and Kat Von D have gotten engaged. You know what, I have a feeling those crazy kids just might make it...

1 comment:

Liz said...

I saw a preview for 'No Strings Attached' and it looks like the most awful romcom ever made. When will Hollywood stop making romantic comedies? NOBODY LIKES THEM. Also, Ashton Kutcher can't act his way out of a paper bag.