Thursday, June 2, 2011

BUT I WANT IT!

Because I didn't do much babysitting growing up, I was late to party when it came to dealing with children. However, the last 4+ years with my nieces and nephew have taught me a lot in a short amount of time. I'm now a champion pillow for naps and, even though I still would rather someone else do it, I can finally change a shit-filled diaper without dry-heaving. But, here's the key thing I now know that I didn't back in January of 2007: if you ever tell your child to do something, they say no and you respond by getting down to their level to defend your position with logic and a sound defense, you're a fucking idiot.

Look, you simply can't reason with children on certain issues. No child under the age of 8 has ever said the following sentence: "Well, I don't agree with what you are telling me, but I can see where you're coming from and respect your position." No, they know what they want and nothing you can say or do is going to sway them. They are stubborn in that way, like the know-it-all at work, only much cuter. What disturbed me was I recently realised that even though I am in my 31st year on this planet, I haven't totally out-grown this myself. There are just some things I refuse to accept, no matter how rational or logical the other person's argument may be. I want what I want and nothing you say will change that fact.

Not surprisingly, this revelation into my personality was brought on by sports. A couple months back, Comcast bought out NBC. This created a new company, which included a joint union of NBC Sports and The Golf Channel, which was already a part of Comcast. I figured it was all good because now I would get to see even more golf. So, imagine my surprise last weekend when the early Saturday and Sunday PGA Tour action, normally found on The Golf Channel, was nowhere to be found.

It used to be that no matter who was showing the weekend golf (CBS or NBC) the early third and fourth round play would be on The Golf Channel. Now, because they own NBC, it appears The Golf Channel would rather not show you the early action from a tournament if it's going to be on another channel, as they don't want you getting into the action and not watching whatever they are showing on NBC. Just for an example, last week they were showing the Senior PGA Championship on NBC and as such didn't have any coverage of the PGA tournament that was going to shown on CBS. As you can imagine, this did not make me happy.

Now, as a communications major in college who took numerous classes in programming, I totally get this from a business standpoint. It doesn't makes sense to promote something for your competition. Honestly, I understand the reasoning. Doesn't mean I don't hate it. I don't want to have to think about their promotions, I don't care about Comcast's viewing numbers or their politics behind the scenes. I just want to watch more of the stuff I like and nothing anyone says to explain their position is going to change my mind. I want what I want. The only difference between me and my nieces is that when I throw my temper-tantrum you can look up if you want to be on my level.

No comments: