Friday, June 10, 2011

It's A Miracle

You may recall a few months back when I mentioned that half the buttons on my iDock had suddenly decided to stop working. I could play or pause the songs, but any toggling back and forth or changing of the volume would have to be done through the remote. What enhanced my frustration level was that this happened suddenly and with no reason because the iDock hadn't been dropped, crushed or otherwise harmed. The buttons just decided not to work anymore. Still, I couldn't bring myself to throw the thing away because it would still play music and even though it wasn't very convenient, I could still perform the other functions with the remote. Plus, the timer still worked, and that was the only thing I really needed it for anyway. So, like most other things in life, I learned to live with it.

Therefore, imagine my surprise the other day when all the buttons started working again, also for no reason. It was the weirdest thing: I was trying to get the iDock to play the radio, when I remembered that I hadn't finished up a podcast I had recently downloaded. Having a half-second of amnesia I pressed the toggle button on the machine, fully expecting nothing to happen, as had been the case for the previous few months. Only this time the buttons worked and everything worked as it should have. Not only that, but now every button was back to normal like the thing was fresh out of the box. I hadn't even been trying to fix it; just like it broke for no reason, it repaired itself for no reason.

At first I started trying to figure out why this was happening, but couldn't find a reason. It wasn't like I had pressed some strange button for the first time or suddenly thought of some new move to try. Even if I had, I doubt that iDocks come equipped with a "make half the buttons not work for several months" feature. (Honestly, why would you even make that feature?) After marvelling at this sudden turn of events I decided to just say screw it, not question why it happened and just be happy that it did. Sometimes, objects are just quirky and you should leave it alone.

But, for the record, this is why the show "Hoarders" exists. There is that little part in the back of people's brains that tell them they should hang on to something, because you just never know. The smart thing would have been to throw this thing out when the buttons first broke and simply gotten a new one. However, by hanging on to it, everything worked out in my favor. Score one for me. [Sidebar: That being said, "Hoarders" might be the creepiest show ever. If I ever start refusing to throw away empty wrappers because I think something about them might be important, please don't hesitate to intervene. My faith that things are going to fix themselves should only go so far.]

No comments: