Monday, June 27, 2011

It's No Comparison

Over the weekend Taylor Swift had two concerts at Gillette Stadium. Therefore, not surprisingly, in the week leading up to the shows Swift was all over the radio in these parts. Because she's got a lot of crossover appeal, this meant she wasn't just on the country stations, but the pop and Top-40 ones as well. The only way to escape her was to turn on the rock stations. Now, I understand the radio stations beating her into our brains, because they wanted to generate buzz for the shows, especially if they had tickets to give away. I even get the people who weren't able to get tickets but called in requests to the stations, because they are fans and they still want to at least hear her songs. Who I didn't get were the people on their way to the show that called in with Taylor Swift song requests. Um, you're going to hear the real thing in a couple hours, so why would you want to hear the recorded version right before?

I think my concern stems from one of the main reasons I have a love/hate relationship with concerts. Besides dealing with the crowds, which I do not like, I also worry about how good the band is actually going to be. Nothing bums me out more than finding out a band is really terrible to see live once I'm already in my seats and can't escape. Now, if they stink, the stage crew can try their best to cover it up with pyrotechnics and elaborate dances, but at some point they still have to sing. The last thing I would think any musical act wants is to have to hold one of their live performances up against something that has been carefully crafted and remixed before being released to the general public. On the one hand I love it when I get there and the band is equal to the challenge, simply blowing me away with how good they are. I walk away totally impressed and even more of a fan. The problem is that doesn't happen too often.

More often than not I walk away very under-whelmed. Now, too be fair, you can't always blame the musicians, because they might just be a victim of a bad building. Some places just aren't made to handle live music. However, other times it's because the artist really isn't that good and suddenly having to perform without the benefit of a sound engineer to clean them up, their secret is out to the public. (I once had a friend who went to see Alanis Morissette and said that without having someone there to clean up her vocals, live she sounded like someone doing a terrible job at singing Alanis Morissette karaoke.) I lose a ton of respect for musicians when I hear stories like that. I feel as though if you can't do it live then you really shouldn't be charging money for a concert.

Obviously, I didn't go to either show, so I can't tell you whether or not Miss Swift can actually sing. But, I'm willing to bet that even on her best stage night she would rather not have to stand up to her pre-recorded self. Therefore, if you plan to go to any shows this summer I would recommend not listening to that act's music before you head to their show. Go in with open ears and therefore fresh (read: lowered) expectations. It'll probably work out better for the both of you in the long run.

No comments: