Sunday, June 5, 2011

A Sticky Interlude

Every song has the ability to get stuck in someone's head. All it takes is hearing the correct refrain at the right moment and you'll be hearing that song in your head for the next week, whether you like it or not. On some occasions, you don't even have to hear the song; just a key word from the song and suddenly it's stuck in your brain. For example, if I even hear the word "Istanbul" then all I can think about is the They Might Be Giants song, "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)". And as easy as it is for me to get a song stuck in my head on a normal occasion, They Might Be Giants songs get stuck and simply will not leave. I've been humming this song for the last few days. All I can do at this point is hope that if I play it 400 times over the next week my brain will get tired of it and forget the words. I doubt it, but I'll try anything.

2 comments:

Liz said...

This song has been in my head for days. I was singing it in the shower yesterday. Specifically, 'NOBODY'S BUSINESS BUT THE TURKS.'

Excellent.

Tom said...

Was Instanbul in the news and I just forgot about it?

There has to be a reason it was in both our heads.