Thursday, June 9, 2011

More Line Time

The other day I was in my truck, sitting in the line at the drive-through. [Sidebar: You know, if you read this blog everyday you may start to think I stand in line for a living. I promise you that is not the case. It is just where I have the most time to think about subjects to blog about.] Anyway, as I was pulling in I could instinctively tell the woman in the mini-van in front of me was going to be a problem. I counted five little heads bouncing around and God only knew if there were more people that I couldn't see hiding in the vehicle somewhere. It did not take a detective to guess she was not going to be placing a small order. As such I ditched out of my truck and took the time to walk into the restaurant.

While standing in line inside (yeah, the move backfired on me), I began to realise that there should be a limit to how many people you are allowed to order for at the drive-through. The entire point of it is so that people can speed along and get right back to what they were doing. If you are ordering for an entire Little League roster then you should get out of your car and go inside because you are going to take far too long and hold us all up. I sympathise with loading and unloading all those kids in and out of your car, but not to the point I'm willing to be late to an appointment because of it.

I think the main reason I get annoyed when people cause lines to clog is because I go out of my way to not be the person causing the clog. As anyone who has been in my car can testify, my cup holders are filled with change. That change is specifically for these types of situations. I don't want the people behind me to have to wait while the people at the window make change - I want to be able to give them precisely what they require and be on my merry way. It is a service I provide for both the workers and my fellow line-mates. All I'm asking in is that people try and return the favor.

So, here's my solution. Much like the supermarkets, fast food restaurants should have lanes based on order size. (However, unlike the supermarkets, the numbers should actually be enforced.) Three people or less in one lane, four-to-seven in the next and if you are ordering for seven to ten people people, your lane will guide you over to the parking lot, because you should get out at that point. And if you are ordering for more than ten people, frankly, you should have your own private room. At least that way you get some small perk for you troubles.

No comments: