Sunday, June 13, 2010

I'm Seeing Too Much Of You

I have a theory when it comes to movies and cross-promotions: the more of you I see, the more likely it is that your movie sucks. I understand that in this day and age of illegal downloading movie studios have to work harder to convince people to actually go to the theatres and that just drilling the trailers into our brains 100 times a day may not be enough. However, there is a limit to how much I need to see the stars out at other events. Now, I'm not talking about kids movies, because you expect those to be turned into toys and McDonald's Happy Meals. But when you keep seeing the stars a new comedy outside of the entertainment industry it is mostly likely because the people in charge of promoting the movie know deep in their hearts that opening weekend is the only shot they have to make a profit and that once the movie opens word of mouth is not going to be good. So, when I see Kevin James, David Spade, Chris Rock and Adam Sandler sitting courtside at the NBA Finals, comparing the cast to NBA teams on TNT commercials and as the Grand Marshalls of a NASCAR race, in my mind it does not bode well for Grown Ups.

-I understand that Nebraska is a fairly large school with a good athletic tradition. That being said, I don't get why their leaving the Big 12 conference means that the entire thing has to be shut down. As soon as Nebraska announced that it was going to be jumping to the Big 10, six of the remaining Big 12 schools indicated they would likely be joining the Pac-10 (Colorado has already confirmed their defection). This confuses me, because I would think that as long as the Big 12 has Texas they would be ok. I just don't get why they aren't be pro-active and trying to find a couple of schools to keep the conference at the magic number of 12 (which is how many you need to have a conference championship game). Nebraska is good, but they are not irreplaceable and certainly the Big 12 could survive the loss of Colorado. As I suggested a couple months ago, why not go after Arkansas from the SEC or Louisville from the Big East? Just because you lose one of your big schools doesn't mean you have to shut down the show. Hell, Boston College was one of the founding members of the Big East and the conference still trudged on after they jumped to the ACC (how well is up for debate, but still). Frankly, with so many schools based in Texas I would have expected the conference to go down with much more of a fight.

-There is a story out now that World Cup officials may start to prevent people from blowing on those vuvuzela horns for the length of the matches. I'm against this and here's why: those horns are the one thing that the entire world has been able to agree on, maybe in the history of mankind. Those stupid horns are universally reviled and have united countries in a common hatred. In two days of existence everyone has already decided that these horns suck. We are all in agreement. They've done what no amount of peace treaties ever could. And really, isn't that what the World Cup is supposed to do - make us closer as a planet?

No comments: