Friday, June 25, 2010

Shopping In My Closet

Despite not being into fashion at all, I actually own a lot of clothes. I mostly have the women in my life to thank for this because they have worked really hard for the last few years to make sure I have enough of a wardrobe that don't look like such a slob when I leave the house, while I have fought them most of the way by preferring to wear t-shirts with team logos on them as much as possible. Still, I have more shirts than I would ever really need, considering I do laundry every couple of weeks and thus 10-15 shirts seem to just perpetually stay on top of the pile. However, for no real good reason, lately I have been looking further and further into the dark reaches of my closet and trying to add some more variety to my look. Which leads me to my point of the day - you ever find a shirt or another piece of clothing in the back of your closet or the bottom of the drawer you rarely open and then wonder why you don't wear it more? I was looking for a pair of shorts this afternoon when I came across an incredibly comfortable pair of cargo shorts that I had completely forgotten about. I wonder what else I'm going to find the deeper I search.

-You may remember a couple weeks ago I mentioned my theory that the more a movie is hyped prior to its opening, the more likely it is that the movie is terrible. This theory comes from a belief that the marketing people know word of mouth will not be good and thus the opening weekend is the only chance the movie has to make any money. I originally made this observation because I could not turn on my TV without seeing the cast of Grown Ups at every turn. However, after last night, I have to extend a similar judgement towards the movie Knight and Day. Watching the draft last night I saw roughly 400 commercials for the new Tom Cruise / Cameron Diaz flick. Given how quickly he was drafted, I do not think it would be a stretch to claim that I saw more of Tom Cruise than John Wall last night. This is the same movie that filmed partly in Boston and caused "The Wedding Strikes Back" to be delayed for almost 20 minutes. Given the hassle that caused Liz and the SJC, I would have at least hoped for a better finished product. But, considering I've seen 3 more commercials for the movie just in the short time I have been typing this, I am not hopeful.

-Let me go on record by saying that I loved what the Celtics ended up doing in last night's draft. Not just taking Harangody in the second round because, like I said yesterday, that was expected. Harangody will take Davis's minutes, who will take Rasheed's minutes, only those two will actually run the entire floor. But I really like the drafting of Avery Bradley. I think he'll be a great fit because he is a rarity in college basketball - a young player who prides himself on defense. Also, the Celtics have been in search of a true back-up point guard for years. They tried jamming undersized two guards in there (Eddie House, Nate Robinson), but it just never worked. Even though they showed flashes of their passing skills those two were always much better as spot-up shooters who could run off screens. This year's experiment of having Tony Allen run the point when Rondo was on the bench just showed how much this was an area of need. Whenever Allen was running the show the ball movement stopped and whatever lead the team had would vanish, thus Rondo played way more minutes than he should have during the regular season. TA should just have to worry about playing defense from here on out (oh, and worry about it on another team). If Danny can manage to keep Pierce and find another shooter to take Ray Allen's spot (I continue to think a team with a lot of money and no big-name free agents left to sign is going to throw Ray more money than he is worth), then this off-season could easily be considered a success.

No comments: