Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Where Is My Wand?

Of all the yard work that one has to do over the course of a summer, mulching might be one of my favorites. I think it has to do with the fact that you get the instant gratification of seeing your work make an area look improved immediately. When you spend hours planting bulbs, the best you can do is stand back and say, "This will all look great in 6-8 months when everything blooms." I find that very unsatisfying. Anyway, I was doing some mulching this afternoon when, as I was trying to climb under a large shrub to make sure the mulch was evenly spread to, a stray branch sort of popped up and scraped me across the forehead. I immediately tried to convince myself it probably wasn't too bad, but when I went to wipe my brow I came away with blood on my sleeve. Still, I couldn't really tell how it truly looked until I got home when, even though I was a good 20 feet away from my mom, she looked in my direction and said, "What happened to your forehead?" Apparently it was noticeable.

A quick look in the mirror revealed an inch-long, vertical scratch pretty much dead center of my forehead. I suddenly wish I didn't keep my hair so short, because a Justin Bieber-like haircut with all my hair pushed to the front would come in handy right about now. The good news is that when you already have a dent in your forehead, a scratch doesn't make that much difference. I'm just going to have to be careful from here on out, because I'm not sure how much more damage I can take in this area. Hopefully the scratch will fade quickly over the next couple of days, but if it doesn't I'll have to make the best of it. Given my glasses and the fact that I'm closer to age with Daniel Radcliffe than he would want to admit, I'm well on my way to a Harry Potter costume for Halloween. Now who's the chosen one, Potter?

-Most of last night's Game 6 completely sucked, however there were two great moments: Christina Aguilera's boobs practically pouring out of her dress (even if she did take 3 minutes to sing the National Anthem by turning "free" into a 14 syllable word) and Mark Jackson commenting on how loud the Laker's crowd was by saying, "We're not accustomed to this much noise in here." That already has the lead for "Backhanded Compliment of the Year" and it's only mid-June.

-As for Game 7, the loss of Kendrick Perkins is going to have a huge impact. We needed him to shove Pau Gasol around and try to clog the lane when Kobe drove to the hoop. The only thing the Celtics have going for them is the fact that Andrew Bynum wasn't moving much better and might not be able to play more than a few minutes, so this may be closer to a wash than we all think. A scenario like this is the exact reason we signed Rasheed Wallace so now he, Glen Davis and even Brian Scalabrine are going to have to step up and try to fill the void on defense. I still think the Celtics can win in Los Angeles, but a hard job just got even harder.

No comments: