Thursday, December 2, 2010

Did You Want Fries With That?

For lunch yesterday Liz and I went to the Yard House in Dedham after some holiday shopping. (Ironically, we went to a restaurant with over a hundred brands of beer on tap and neither of us had any alcohol.) We both ended up ordering the slider mini-burgers, and with those we were offered our choice of fries. We could either stick with regular fries, try garlic fries or take the advice of Jamie, our waitress, who highly recommended the truffle fries. For those of you who have never had truffle fries before (and I'm assuming that would be most of you) those are fries which are cooked in truffle oil and then covered with herbs and cheese. According to our waitress they were incredible. Despite Jamie's strong endorsement, Liz stuck to standard fries while I decided to be adventurous (at least what counts as adventurous for me) and have the truffle fries.

So, our meals arrived and I tried them. They were... fine. A little heavy on the garlic for my tastes, but I was perfectly content to eat them. However, a couple minutes later Jamie came up with another plate of fries and informed me that they had accidentally given me garlic fries and these were my truffle fries. I have to say I appreciated her honesty, because it's not like I would have ever known. Having never had truffle fries before I have no idea what they were supposed to taste like, so I would have simply assumed they tasted the same as garlic fries and gone about my day. Now I have two orders of fries to get through, both of which are very herb-flavored. I'm sure the truffle fries were fine, but at this point all I could taste was garlic. (I'm also sure that some of you out there are thinking that I didn't have to eat both orders of fries, to which I say you clearly don't know me or my love of a challenge.)

At this point our waitress comes back and is simply dying to know what I thought of the truffle fries. I think she was disappointed that I wasn't blown away by them, while Liz's review of the one she tried was short and to the point, "They taste like Earth." I'm not sure poor Jamie knew what to make of that comment. The sliders were excellent, if that is any consolation. So, while I will recommend you try the Yard House if you are in the area, you don't need to go out of your way to have the special fries. You'd probably just end up with garlic fries anyway.

1 comment:

Liz said...

The Yard House was delightful. The truffle fries were not. We must do that again sometime.