Friday, December 31, 2010

Resolution Failure

I remember writing a post around this time last year about how I'm not a fan of making New Year's resolutions. The gist of the post was that I don't like them mostly because I forget about them, but also because I rarely make good on them and thus it is just another thing for me to beat myself up about for failing to get done. I then went and promptly made some New Year's resolutions, on that same blog, for all to see. I'm a complicated man like that.

As you would expect, I didn't have a high success rate. Here's what I wrote:

So, instead of resolutions, here are some projects (semantics, I know) that I would like to get done in 2010: build a deck down the cape, a bookcase for my bedroom and CD wall rack. Also, after firing a 49 down at Willowdale I'd like to see if I could come in under 45 and also shave 3 more strokes off of my all-time best of 113 at Chemawa.

I got exactly zero of those things done. Um, whoops? I didn't even start on the deck down the Cape and while I did all the measuring for the bookcase and wall rack I never began construction. I didn't even get to the golf ones and those were ones I really wanted to do. Now, in my defense, I didn't get to play much at either course, only making it to Willowdale and Chemawa once, and the time at Chemawa I wasn't allowed to play the full 18 holes due to league play, so I'm not even sure that one is my fault. True, I didn't playing well at either course during the one trip I did make, but only giving myself one shot at a New Year's resolution doesn't seem very smart. Plus, I did shoot a -4 on Wii Golf and feel like that should count for something.

Ironically, the only thing from that post I got done was the one thing I said I wasn't going to work at, which was going a second straight year with some kind of blog post every day. Yet, there I was doing four days worth of generic and time-ambiguous posts before going away on long weekends. I'm like Cal Ripken: I keep saying I don't care about my streak and then I do everything I can to keep it going. (By the way, today is consecutive day #748, meaning 1,000 is not out of the question.)

Ok, so let's try this again: this year I really do intend to build myself that bookcase and CD wall rack (it sounds like we're planning to out-source the deck construction). Also, I want to break 90 at Little Harbor, 70 at Lost Brook, 110 at Chemawa and 45 at Willowdale. Seriously, you guys, I mean it this time.

No comments: