Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Holiday Shopping Ramblings

I've spent most of the last two days in malls, trying to get all my Christmas shopping done in just one or two trips. Alas, that was not meant to be. But, I did pick up a few thoughts to share with you now:

-Is it possible to walk passed a keyboard on display without touching the keys to see if it has power? I really don't think it is. The thing is, even if the keyboard is on it is not like I would suddenly be able to sit down and play a concert piece. I haven't played piano a day in my life. Yet, I can't walk by one in a store without wanting to press a couple of keys down. The same thing happens with video games on sale, but at least I have experience using those.

-To the makers of reversible jackets: I understand that the point of your product is so people get two options for wearing the one jacket. It's like you're getting two items for the price of one. However, here's a helpful hint: you should try and make it so that at least one version isn't hideous. Because if they are both ugly then I'm not going to buy it, no matter how much the math is on my side.

-While I'm giving out advice, let me talk to the stores that use colored tags to display sizes: there are more than seven colors in the world, so there is no need to repeat colors for two sizes that are on the opposite ends of the scale. There is nothing worse than seeing a nice shirt from across a couple aisles, running over because usually a tan tag means XXL, only to discover that the XS size tags are also tan. That's just mean. And, if you are going to repeat colors, at least make them close size-wise.

-Perhaps the most unhelpful woman I've ever dealt with was working behind the counter at the mall this evening. I went in and asked for a very specific item by name. She told me that she didn't know what that was and I would, "have to do better than just the name." Oh course, how silly of me to assume you would know anything about the items in your display case. Maybe I should come back later with a detailed layout of the store to show you exactly where the product is located. Anyway, I described it to her and she just looked at me and said, "Yeah, we don't have that" without even checking around. Four seconds ago she had no idea what it was and now she was master of inventory. This is why I should always wear a tie shopping, the service is just so much better.

Now, onto my fellow shoppers:
-If at some point I am looking at a display from a foot or two away and you step in front of me, you're the one who is supposed to say 'excuse me' to me. It does not work the other way around. I'm not apologizing for not being in your way, so do not step in front of me and then look at me expectantly.

-Also, if I am walking to my car carrying three bags, you should not automatically assume I am done for the day and leaving the mall. However, I can see how you might jump to that conclusion, so that's not my issue. My issue was with the lady who literally threw her arms up as I closed my car door and shook my head at her in the universal gesture which means, "Sorry, but I'm not done here." I am allowed to go back to my own car.

Merry Christmas, indeed.

No comments: